Hiram Township, Cass County, Minnesota
Hiram Township, Minnesota
|• Total||35.6 sq mi (92.2 km2)|
|• Land||27.1 sq mi (70.2 km2)|
|• Water||8.5 sq mi (22.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,388 ft (423 m)|
|• Density||12.3/sq mi (4.8/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0664486|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.6 square miles (92 km2), of which 27.1 square miles (70 km2) is land and 8.5 square miles (22 km2) (23.90%) is water.
- Birch Lake (west three-quarters)
- Chub Lake
- Crystal Lake
- Jackpine Lake
- Perch Lake
- Perry Lake
- Tenmile Lake (south three-quarters)
- Tripp Lake
- Variety Lake
- Wegwos Lake
- Shingobee Township (north)
- Turtle Lake Township (northeast)
- Birch Lake Township (east)
- Powers Township (southeast)
- Deerfield Township (south)
- Badoura Township, Hubbard County (southwest)
- White Oak Township, Hubbard County (west)
As of the census of 2000, there were 334 people, 157 households, and 118 families residing in the township. The population density was 12.3 people per square mile (4.8/km²). There were 630 housing units at an average density of 23.3/sq mi (9.0/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.60% White, 0.30% Native American, and 2.10% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.30% of the population.
There were 157 households out of which 12.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 69.4% were married couples living together, 5.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.8% were non-families. 21.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.13 and the average family size was 2.44.
In the township the population was spread out with 13.2% under the age of 18, 2.4% from 18 to 24, 15.0% from 25 to 44, 43.1% from 45 to 64, and 26.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 56 years. For every 100 females, there were 93.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $34,000, and the median income for a family was $36,563. Males had a median income of $29,500 versus $11,964 for females. The per capita income for the township was $22,217. About 14.5% of families and 13.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.0% of those under age 18 and 9.2% of those age 65 or over.
- United States National Atlas
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- United States Census Bureau American FactFinder - Hiram Township total population
- Upham, Warren (1920). Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance. Minnesota Historical Society. p. 89.