|Born||1961 (age 59–60)|
|Awards||IJCAI Computers and Thought Award (1993)|
|Thesis||Speech-to-speech translation: a massively parallel memory-based approach (1991)|
Hiroaki Kitano (北野 宏明, born 1961 in Tokyo) is a Japanese scientist. He is the head of the Systems Biology Institute (SBI); President and CEO of Sony Computer Science Laboratories; a Group Director of the Laboratory for Disease Systems Modeling at and RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences; and a professor at Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST). Kitano is known for developing AIBO, and the robotic world cup tournament known as Robocup.
Kitano graduated from International Christian University with a B.A. in physics in 1984. He received a PhD in computer science from Kyoto University in 1991. His PhD thesis in machine translation was titled "Speech-to-speech translation: a massively parallel memory-based approach". His work includes a broad spectrum of publications in artificial intelligence and interactomics.
At Sony, Kitano started the development of the AIBO robotic pet. This research was developed further as the QRIO, a bipedal humanoid robot. The research behind AIBO and QRIO led to Kitano founding the RoboCup annual international robotics competition in 1997. The goal of RoboCup is to create a team of autonomous robotic footballers that would be able to beat the best team in the world, by 2050.
Roles and awards
Kitano has served as a scientific advisor for a number of companies, including Alstom, Segway Japan and Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings. He was awarded the IJCAI Computers and Thought Award in 1993 and the Nature Award for Creative Mentoring in Science in 2009.
- Kitano, H.; Asada, M.; Kuniyoshi, Y.; Noda, I.; Osawa, E. (1997). "Robo Cup". Proceedings of the first international conference on Autonomous agents - AGENTS '97. p. 340. doi:10.1145/267658.267738. ISBN 978-0897918770. S2CID 2557966.
- "The Systems Biology Institute: Members". sbi.jp. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- Irene M. Kunii; Otis Port (19 March 2001). "Robots". Business Week. Retrieved 2 January 2011.
- "World Cup robot competition to kick off in Germany". IT World. 12 June 2006. Retrieved 2 January 2011.
- "CV: Hiroaki Kitano" (PDF). jst.go.jp. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "KEYNOTE SPEAKERS - 35th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society". embc2013.embs.org. Archived from the original on 23 March 2015. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "Hiroaki Kitano - The 15th International Conference on Systems Biology 2014". icsb14.com. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "Hiroaki Kitano's dream Kirainet - A geek in Japan". kirainet.com. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "RoboCup: Objective". RoboCup. 1998. Archived from the original on 4 January 2014. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- Kitano, H. (2002). "Systems biology: a brief overview" (PDF). Science. 295 (5560): 1662–1664. Bibcode:2002Sci...295.1662K. doi:10.1126/science.1069492. PMID 11872829. S2CID 2703843.
- Hucka, M.; Finney, A.; Sauro, H. M.; Bolouri, H.; Doyle, J. C.; Kitano, H.; Arkin, A. P.; Bornstein, A. P.; Bray, B. J.; Cornish-Bowden, D.; Cuellar, A.; Dronov, A. A.; Gilles, S.; Ginkel, E. D.; Gor, M.; Goryanin, V.; Hedley, I. I.; Hodgman, W. J.; Hofmeyr, T. C.; Hunter, J. -H.; Juty, P. J.; Kasberger, N. S.; Kremling, J. L.; Kummer, A.; Le Novère, U.; Loew, N.; Lucio, L. M.; Mendes, P.; Minch, P.; Mjolsness, E. (2003). "The systems biology markup language (SBML): A medium for representation and exchange of biochemical network models". Bioinformatics. 19 (4): 524–531. doi:10.1093/bioinformatics/btg015. PMID 12611808. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Kitano, H. (2002). "Computational systems biology". Nature. 420 (6912): 206–210. Bibcode:2002Natur.420..206K. doi:10.1038/nature01254. PMID 12432404. S2CID 4401115.
- Kitano, H. (2004). "Biological robustness". Nature Reviews Genetics. 5 (11): 826–837. doi:10.1038/nrg1471. PMID 15520792. S2CID 7644586.
- "Mid-career Achievement Award : 2009 Nature Mentor Awards". Nature Asia-Pacific. Nature Japan K.K. Archived from the original on 5 May 2012. Retrieved 18 March 2012.
- Marti-Solano, M; Birney, E; Bril, A; Della Pasqua, O; Kitano, H; Mons, B; Xenarios, I; Sanz, F (2014). "Integrative knowledge management to enhance pharmaceutical R&D". Nature Reviews Drug Discovery. 13 (4): 239–40. doi:10.1038/nrd4290. PMID 24687050. S2CID 20972353. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Hiroaki Kitano's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic
- Hiroaki Kitano author profile page at the ACM Digital Library
- Hiroaki Kitano at DBLP Bibliography Server
- "140602 Kitano_Hiroaki_CV" (PDF). worldhealthsummit.org. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hiroaki Kitano.|