Koreeda at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival
|Native name||是枝 裕和|
June 6, 1962 |
|Alma mater||Waseda University|
|Occupation||Film director, film producer, screenwriter, film editor|
Hirokazu Koreeda (是枝 裕和 Koreeda Hirokazu, born June 6, 1962) is a Japanese film director, producer, screenwriter and editor.
Before embarking on a career as a director, Koreeda worked as an assistant director on documentaries for television. He later directed his first television documentary, Lessons from a Calf, in 1991. His 2013 film Like Father, Like Son was nominated for the Palme d'Or at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival. It won the Jury Prize and won a commendation from the Ecumenical Jury.
In October 2013 it won the Rogers People’s Choice Award at the 2013 Vancouver International Film Festival. His 2015 film Our Little Sister was selected to compete for the Palme d'Or at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival.
Style and influences
- 1995: Venice Film Festival - Golden Osella, Best Director (Maborosi)
- 1998: Buenos Aires International Festival of Independent Cinema - Best Film and Best Screenplay (Wonderful Life)
- 2004: Blue Ribbon Awards - Best Film and Best Director (Nobody Knows)
- 2009: Asian Film Awards - Best Director (Still Walking)
- 2013: Cannes Film Festival - Jury award (Like Father, Like Son)
- 2015: Yokohama Film Festival - Best Director (Our Little Sister)
- 2016: Films from the South - Best Film (After the Storm)
|1991||Lessons from a Calf||Director (documentary)|
|1994||August without Him||Director (documentary)|
|1996||Without Memory||Director (documentary)|
|1998||After Life||Director, writer, editor|
|2001||Distance||Director, writer, editor|
|2004||Nobody Knows||Director, producer, writer|
|2008||Still Walking||Director, writer, editor|
|2008||Daijōbu Dearu Yō ni: Cocco Owaranai Tabi||Director (documentary)|
|2009||Air Doll||Director, producer, writer, editor|
|2011||I Wish||Director, writer|
|2013||Like Father, Like Son||Director, writer, editor|
|2015||Our Little Sister||Director, writer, editor|
|2016||After the Storm||Director, writer, editor|
|2017||The Third Murder||Director, writer, editor|
- Lessons from a Calf (1991)
- Going My Home (2012)
- Interview with Koreeda Hirokazu - Documentary Box (Interviewer: Aaron Gerow)
- "2013 Official Selection". Cannes. 19 April 2013. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- "Cannes Film Festival: Awards 2013". Cannes. 26 May 2013. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- "Cannes: ‘Blue Is the Warmest Color’ Wins Fipresci Prize". Variety. 26 May 2013. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- Tomlin, Raymond. "VIFF 2013: Award Winners Announced for 2013 Film Festival". www.vanramblings.com. Van Ramblings.
- "2015 Official Selection". Cannes. Archived from the original on 18 April 2015. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "The Films of Hirokazu Koreeda". Harvard Film Archive. February 25, 2005.
- Interview with Hirokazu Koreeda, MUBI
- 「海街diary」が5冠、「お盆の弟」が4冠 (in Japanese). Nikkan Sports News. Retrieved 2015-12-05.
- "After Life" (Review) by Jonathan Ellis. Film Quarterly, Vol. no. 57, Issue no. 1, pp. 32–37. ISSN 0015-1386.
- "This is your life: Tony Rayns interviews After Life's director Koreeda Hirokazu" Sight & Sound, March 1999.