Hiroshi Kawaguchi (composer)
Hiroshi Kawaguchi川口 博史
|Birth name||Hiroshi Miyauchi|
|Also known as||Hiro|
|Born||April 12, 1965|
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Hiroshi Kawaguchi (川口 博史, Kawaguchi Hiroshi, born April 12, 1965) is a Japanese video game music composer and keyboardist who works for Sega. He is among the oldest of the Sega sound team members, and one of the few from the 1980s still active today. He joined Sega in 1984 as a programmer, but quit the job and became a composer the following year.
He is also known as Hiro, Master Hiro (Hiro師匠) and Hiroshi Miyauchi (宮内 博史) (his pre-mukoyōshi name), and has been a part of both the S.S.T. Band and the sound unit [H.], the latter of which he leads. He has also been a member of Chain Band, a hybrid between the groups [H.] and Sonic Adventure Music Experience.
He worked closely with game designer Yu Suzuki and served as composer for some of the company's most recognized series, such as Space Harrier, Out Run, and After Burner, and has contributed music to many others. He has often acted as a tutor to new Sega composers, such as Yasuhiro Takagi and Keitaro Hanada.
|1984||Girl's Garden||Programming||with Yuji Naka|
|Hang-On||Music||with Yoji Ishii|
|Space Harrier||with Yu Suzuki|
|1986||Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars|
|Enduro Racer||"Main Theme" only |
|Fantasy Zone||The Shop music and Game Over jingle were composed by a different composer.|
|After Burner II|
|Hot Rod||with N.Y|
|1989||Super Monaco GP||"Theme From Super Monaco GP"|
|Turbo Outrun||with Yasuhiro Takagi|
|Sword of Vermilion|
|1990||G-LOC: Air Battle|
|GP Rider||with Takenobu Mitsuyoshi and Yasuhiro Takagi|
|Air Rescue||Sound effects|
|Stadium Cross||Sound driver|
|OutRunners||Music||with Takayuki Nakamura and Takenobu Mitsuyoshi|
|1993||SegaSonic the Hedgehog||with Keitaro Hanada and Naoki Tokiwa|
|1994||Dragon Ball Z: V.R.V.S.||with David Leytze and Keitaro Hanada|
|Star Wars Arcade||Sound coordinator||with Kazuhiko Nagai and Youichi Ueda|
|Rail Chase The Ride: Eiyuu Fukkatsu Hen||Music|
|1995||Cool Riders||Music, sound driver||with Makito Nomiya|
|1996||Sega Touring Car Championship||Music, sound programming||with various others|
|WaveRunner||Sound||with Makito Nomiya and Youichi Ueda|
|Virtua Fighter 3||Sound programming|
|Sega Ages: OutRun||Arrangements|
|1997||Sega Ages: Fantasy Zone||Vocal song arrangement|
|Le Mans 24||Sound support|
|1998||Sega Ages: Power Drift||Arrangements|
|1999||Toy Fighter||Technical advice||with Takashi Miyaguchi|
|2000||Rent A Hero No.1||Music||with Kojiro Mikusa and Kayoko Matsushima|
|Crackin' DJ||with various others|
|2001||Crackin' DJ Part 2|
|Air Trix||Sound design||with Takeshi Isozaki|
|2004||Derby Owners Club Online||Music|
|2005||Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 21: SDI & Quartet ~Sega System 16 Collection~||Keyboards|
|2006||Sega Rally 2006||Music||with various others|
|OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast|
|After Burner Climax||Arrangement|
|2007||Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 30: Galaxy Force II Special Extended Edition||Sound producer|
|OutRun 2 SP||Piano|
|Manic Panic Ghosts||Sound director|
|2008||Derby Owners Club 2008||Music|
|Dinosaur King||Sound supervisor||with Kentaro Koyama|
|2009||Tetris Giant||Music||with Susumu Tsukagoshi and Yuichi Kanatani|
|Yakuza 3||Production||with various others|
|2010||Yakuza 4||Sound support|
|2011||Initial D Arcade Stage 6 AA||Support|
|2016||Sangokushi Taisen 4||with Susumu Tsukagoshi|
|2018||Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise||Special cooperation||with Hideaki Kobayashi|
|Sega World Drivers Championship||Music||with Kazuhito Shimizu and Keitaro Hanada|
|House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn||Sound staff||with Keitaro Hanada and Ryohei Kohno|
|Super Smash Bros. Ultimate||Original game supervisor||with various others|
- "Hitmaker sound team - Member 01". Hitmaker. Retrieved February 10, 2021.
- "The Making of OutRun". NowGamer. April 29, 2016. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- "[H.]10th/PROFILE". Wave-master.com. Retrieved October 23, 2012.
- "CHAIN CHRONICLE 5th Anniversary ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK p. 21-22". VGMdb. Retrieved October 23, 2012.
- "Hiroshi Kawaguchi". VGMdb. Retrieved October 23, 2012.
- "Astro City Mini interview". 4Gamer. Retrieved February 10, 2021.
- "Hitmaker sound team - Column vol. 57". Hitmaker. Retrieved February 10, 2021.
- Dwyer, Nick. "Five Titans of Japanese Video Game Music on Their Influences and Key Creations". daily.redbullmusicacademy.com. Red Bull. Retrieved January 21, 2018.
- "SUPER HANG-ON 20th Anniversary Collection Booklet p. 01-02". VGMdb. Retrieved February 10, 2021.
- "SEGA AGES Space Harrier - Staff Reflections". SegaAmerica. Retrieved February 10, 2021.
- "S.S.T.BAND -30th Anniversary Box- Booklet p. 25-26". VGMdb. Retrieved February 10, 2021.
- "SEGA SYSTEM24 SOUND COLLECTION Booklet p. 03-04". VGMdb. Retrieved February 10, 2021.
- "OutRun 20th Anniversary Box Booklet Disc 01". VGMdb. Retrieved February 10, 2021.
- "VERMILION VS RENT A HERO ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK Booklet p. 01-02". VGMdb. Retrieved February 10, 2021.
- "G-LOC AIR BATTLE -Series Music Collection- Booklet p. 01-02". VGMdb. Retrieved February 10, 2021.
- "Hiro & Mitsuyoshi interview". S.S.T.BAND BACK-UP TEAM. Retrieved February 10, 2021.
- "OutRun 20th Anniversary Box Booklet Disc 02". VGMdb. Retrieved February 10, 2021.
- "SegaSonic The Hedgehog". MamEnd. Retrieved February 10, 2021.
- "Fighters MegaMix SOUND TRACKS Booklet p. 01-02". VGMdb. Retrieved February 10, 2021.
- "Renta no Kyoku: Rent A Hero No.1 Original Soundtrack Booklet p. 11-12". VGMdb. Retrieved February 10, 2021.
- "SEGA World Drivers Championship -Original Sound Track- Booklet p. 01-02". VGMdb. Retrieved February 10, 2021.
- "HOUSE OF THE DEAD ~SCARLET DAWN~ ORIGINAL SOUND TRACKS Booklet Front & Back". VGMdb. Retrieved February 10, 2021.