This biography of a living person includes a list of general references, but it remains largely unverified because it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Genre||Science fiction, Fantasy|
|Notable works||All You Need Is Kill |
Modern Magic Made Simple
Hiroshi Sakurazaka (桜坂 洋, Sakurazaka Hiroshi, born 1970) is a Japanese author of science fiction and fantasy light novels. He is best known for his novel All You Need Is Kill, which formed the basis of the film Edge of Tomorrow, featuring Tom Cruise.
Life and career
Sakurazaka originally began in a career in IT.
He made his literary debut in 2002 at the second Super Dash Novel Rookie of the Year Award with Mahō tsukai no netto (魔法使いのネット), which was later published in December 2003 under the name Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahō. This work has subsequently been expanded into a series of light novels and has been made into an anime. In 2004 he was presented the S-F Magazine Readers Award's best short story award for "The Saitama Chain Saw Massacre". His 2004 novel All You Need Is Kill received high praise from other authors in Japan and has been published in English by Viz Media.
Sakurazaka has an interest in computers and video games. He is knowledgeable about computer culture, can program in Perl, is able to use specialized text editors such as Meadow, and can typeset in TeX.
Sakurazaka's novel All You Need is Kill was optioned by Warner Bros. Based upon the story, the screenplay was written by Dante Harper and Joby Harold with a working title We Mortals Are. Originally Brad Pitt was approached to play the lead, but he had conflicts with other films for which Warner wanted him. In October 2011, Tom Cruise began talks for the project to be directed by Doug Liman. In June 2014 the movie premiered with the title Edge of Tomorrow.
- 2004: S-F Magazine Readers Award Best Short Story for "The Saitama Chain Saw Massacre" (Saitama Chainsaw Shōjo, さいたまチェーンソー少女)
- English translation of this short story was included in the anthology Hanzai Japan (Haikasoru, 2015).
- All You Need Is Kill (2004; ISBN 978-4-08-630219-7); English translation: All You Need Is Kill (2009; ISBN 978-1-4215-2761-1), retitled mass-market paperback edition: Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
- Slum Online (スラムオンライン, Suramu onrain) (2005); Revised: Slum Online EX (スラムオンラインEX, Suramu onrain EX) (2014); (English version contains a short story Bonus Round (エキストラ・ラウンド, "Ekisutora Raundo") (2010). Revised Japanese version included the same short.) (2010; ISBN 978-1-4215-3439-8)
- Characters (キャラクターズ, Kyarakutāzu) (2008) (co-written with Hiroki Azuma)
Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahō series
- Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahō (よくわかる現代魔法, "Comprehensible Modern Magic") (2003; ISBN 4-08-630163-6)
- Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahō 2 Gābēji Korekutā (よくわかる現代魔法 2 ガーベージコレクター, "Garbage Collector") (2004; ISBN 4-08-630184-9)
- Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahō 3 Gōsutosukuriputo Fō Uizāzu (よくわかる現代魔法 3 ゴーストスクリプト・フォー・ウィザーズ, "Ghostscript for Wizards") (2004; ISBN 4-08-630204-7)
- Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahō 4 jini Tsukai (よくわかる現代魔法 4 jini使い, "Jini Handler") (2005; ISBN 4-08-630221-7)
- Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahō 5 TMTOWTDI Tatta Hitotsu Ja Nai Saeta Yarikata (よくわかる現代魔法 5 TMTOWTDI たったひとつじゃない冴えたやりかた, "TMTOWTDI Not The Only Neat Thing To Do") (2005; ISBN 4-08-630236-5)
- Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahō 6 Firefox! (よくわかる現代魔法 6 Firefox!) (2009; ISBN 978-4-08-630475-7)
- "Biography". Retrieved 2016-12-17.
- "Hiroshi Sakurazaka". Simon & Schuster.
- Brodesser-Akner, Claude (September 23, 2011). "Warner Brothers Wants Brad Pitt for Doug Liman Film After His Luna Craters". New York Magazine. Retrieved December 27, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Nick Mamatas (April 17, 2012). "Speaking of "rant", ALL YOU NEED IS KILL is not a comic!". Retrieved February 8, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Staff (October 8, 2011). "Tom Cruise In 'We Are Mortals'? Star In Talks For Doug Liman Film". Huffington Post. Retrieved December 27, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Fernandez, Jay A. (December 1, 2011). "Tom Cruise Lining Up 'We Mortals Are' for Warner Bros". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 27, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Sakurazaka Hiroshi". Retrieved 2016-12-17.
- "ALL YOU NEED IS KILL". Haikasoru. Retrieved 2009-07-18. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Entry in The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction
- Hiroshi Sakurazaka manga works in Media Arts Database (in Japanese)