His Dark Materials (TV series)
|His Dark Materials|
|Based on||His Dark Materials|
by Philip Pullman
|Written by||Jack Thorne|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Executive producer(s)||Carolyn Blackwood|
|Production company(s)||Bad Wolf|
New Line Cinema
|Original network||BBC One|
His Dark Materials is a forthcoming British fantasy adventure series based on the novel series of the same name by Philip Pullman. It is being produced by New Line Cinema and Jane Tranter and Julie Gardner of Bad Wolf for BBC One. Before airing, the show was renewed for a second series of again eight episodes. Also, HBO boarded the series as a co-producer, for American airing and international distribution.
- Dafne Keen as Lyra, an orphan
- Lin-Manuel Miranda as Lee Scoresby, an adventurer
- James McAvoy as Lord Asriel
- Ruth Wilson as Marisa Coulter
- Clarke Peters as Dr Carne, The Master of Jordan College
- Ian Gelder as Librarian Scholar Charles
- Will Keen as Father MacPhail
- Ariyon Bakare as Lord Boreal
- Georgina Campbell as Adele Starminster
- Anne-Marie Duff as Ma Costa
- James Cosmo as Farder Coram
- Lucian Msamati as John Faa
- Mat Fraser as Raymond Van Geritt
- Geoff Bell as Jack Verhoeven
- Simon Manyonda as Benjamin de Ruyter
- Simon Strutt as The Oxford College Porter
- Lewin Lloyd as Roger Parslow
- Daniel Frogson as Tony Costa
- Tyler Howitt as Billy Costa
- Archie Barnes as Pantalaimon
- Ruta Gedmintas as Serafina Pekkala
In November 2015, BBC One announced that it had commissioned a television adaptation of His Dark Materials, to be produced by Bad Wolf and New Line Cinema. The eight-part adaptation had a planned premiere date in 2017, however in April 2017, writer Jack Thorne said to Radio Times that the series was still in pre-production. He said, "It’s at an exciting point where we’re just throwing things at the page and trying to work out what works and what doesn’t," and that he wanted to ensure that they were being loyal to the books.
On 8 March 2018, it was announced that Dafne Keen had signed on to star in the series to play Lyra, an orphan, with director Tom Hooper also signed on to direct. Lin-Manuel Miranda would also star as adventurer Lee Scoresby. On 8 June 2018, it was reported that James McAvoy, Clarke Peters, and Ruth Wilson had joined the cast. On 10 October 2018, Lin-Manuel Miranda reported that he had wrapped up filming for his role.
- White, Peter (11 September 2018). "BBC Doubles Order Of Philip Pullman Fantasy Adaptation 'His Dark Materials'".
- White, Nellie Andreeva,Peter (12 September 2018). "HBO Boards 'His Dark Materials' BBC Series Based On Philip Pullman's Books".
- "BBC and Bad Wolf unveil cast and creative team of His Dark Materials". BBC Media Centre. 27 July 2018. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "BBC One commissions adaptation of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials". BBC. 3 November 2015. Retrieved 9 March 2018.
- Fullerton, Huw (18 April 2017). "Jack Thorne opens up about His Dark Materials TV Series". RadioTimes. Retrieved 9 March 2018.
- White, Peter; Wiseman, Andreas (8 March 2018). "'The King's Speech' Director Tom Hooper & 'Logan' Star Dafne Keen Sign Up For 'His Dark Materials' Adaptation". Deadline. Retrieved 9 March 2018.
- White, Peter (8 June 2018). "James McAvoy & Clarke Peters Sign Up To BBC One Fantasy Drama 'His Dark Materials'". Deadline. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- White, Peter (8 June 2018). "'The Affair' Star Ruth Wilson Signs Up To BBC Fantasy Drama 'His Dark Materials'". Deadline. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- @Lin_Manuel (10 October 2018). "Rachel, I JUST wrapped on His Dark Materials, I could have used you!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.