October 26, 1987 |
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
|Years active||2011 – present|
|Genres||Observational comedy, Satire, Character comedy, Improvisational comedy, Anti-Comedy, Surreal Humor|
Life and career
Hisham Fageeh was born in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. He is the lead actor at the Saudi feature film Barakah Yoqabil Barakah. Fageeh began performing stand-up comedy as a student at Columbia University, from which he graduated in May 2013. Around that time he began attending UCB Theater in New York, studying long form improvisation. Within a year Fageeh was taking the stage with comedians Dean Obeidallah, Maysoon Zayid, Aasif Mandvi, Aron Kader, and Hari Kondabolu. He began performing in Arabic after his satirical blog YouTube series "Isboo'iyat Hisham" (Hisham's weeklies) went viral in December 2011 joining the ranks with Fahad Albutairi and Bader Saleh in the Saudi stand-up circuits. He is known as the first Saudi to perform in Gotham Theater and headline an Arabic stand-up comedy tour in the United States and England.
He was a featured performer in the 2012 New York Arab-American Comedy Festival, both in the "New Faces" and "Haram night" shows. Fageeh is most known for his performance in the report from New York for La Yekthar. This specific segment of La Yekthar has been covered by many Western media outlets, such as BBC and the GlobalPost.
His Bob Marley-inspired “No woman, No drive” satire produced with Fahad Albutairi and Alaa Wardi quickly went viral on the same day that a number of Saudi women defied the driving ban in Saudi Arabia on 26 October 2013.
- Nagadi, Mohammed. "Hisham Fageeh: Comedy by coincidence". Arab News. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- Al-Mukhtar, Rima. "Fageeh stands up to tickle your funny bone". Arab News. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- "2012 Performers". arabcomedy.com. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- Smith, Hannah. "What do you get when you mix comedy with YouTube in Saudi Arabia?". GlobalPost. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- "‘No Woman, No Drive’: Saudi women battle to take the wheel". Euro News. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
|This Saudi Arabia biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an American comedian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|