|Country of origin||Spain|
The Hispano-Árabe has been bred in Andalusia since 1800. The current breed standard was published in 2002, and modified in 2005. Since 2008 the stud book has been held by the breeders' association, the Union Española de Ganaderos de Pura Raza Hispano-Árabe (UEGHá). At the end of 2010, a total of 5835 horses were registered, of which approximately 60% were in Andalusia. The breed is considered a "Raza Autóctona en Peligro de Extinción", or autochthonous breed in danger of extinction.
Hispano-Árabe horses can also be registered with the Andalusian Horse Association of Australasia and with the British Association for the Pure Raza Hispano-Árabe.
The Hispano-Árabe is well-proportioned and harmoniously made, with a slender outline and light movements. Due to the origins of the breed, there is considerable variation in appearance, which however does not in itself constitute a reason for disqualification from registration.
The Hispano-Árabe is suitable for equestrian sports such as show-jumping, dressage, cross-country, endurance and TREC; as a working horse for doma vaquera and herding, its traditional use; and for trekking and group sports.
- Ganaderia: Raza equino caballar HISPANO-ÁRABE Ministerio de Medio Ambiente y Medio Rural y Marino. Accessed December 2011. (in Spanish) "Livestock: HISPANO-ÁRABE horse breed" (Click on HISPANO-ÁRABE in the EQUINO CABALLAR section, then Datos Generales tab)
- Union Española de Ganaderos de Pura Raza Hispano-Árabe Accessed December 2011. (in Spanish)
- ORDEN APA/3277/2002, de 13 de diciembre, por la que se establecen las normas zootécnicas de la raza equina Hispano-Árabe Ministerio de Medio Ambiente, y Medio Rural y Marino. Accessed December 2011. (in Spanish) "Order APA/3277/2002, dated 13 December, in which are established the zootechnical characteristics of the Hispano-Árabe breed".
- Breed data sheet: Hispano-Arabe/Spain Domestic Animal Diversity database of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Accessed December 2011.
- Breed profile British Association for the Pure Raza Hispano-Árabe. Accessed December 2011.
|This equine-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|