Historic Aircraft Restoration Museum
|Historic Aircraft Restoration Museum|
|Location||Creve Coeur Airport in Maryland Heights, Missouri|
The Historic Aircraft Restoration Museum, located at Creve Coeur Airport in Maryland Heights, Missouri, USA is a museum dedicated to restoring and preserving historical aircraft. The airplanes in the collection are all fabric-covered, and most are biplanes from the inter-war years (the "Golden age of flight"). The museum's volunteers maintain most of these aircraft in full working order and this is one of the largest collections of flying classic aircraft in America.
The museum collection concentrates on civil aircraft from the inter-war years, with most of the aircraft originating from 1916 to 1946. There are several Waco biplanes, with the oldest of these types being a WACO 10, which was built in 1928. The oldest airplane on display is a Standard J-1 that was built in 1917 and was used in the movie The Rocketeer.
Several of the preserved aircraft are the only surviving airworthy examples of their type.
The museum opens regularly to the public and conducted tours can be arranged. Aircraft rides are available at the museum by request, in either a Stearman WWII biplane trainer or in a North American SNJ-5.
Shavrov Sh-2 seaplane.
- Other major collections of flying historic aircraft
- Commemorative Air Force, in Midland, Texas.
- Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at RAF Coningsby, UK.
- Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden near Biggleswade in Bedfordshire, UK.
- Fantasy of Flight, in Polk City, Florida.
- Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston, Texas.
- Yankee Air Museum in Ypsilanti, Michigan.
- EAA AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
- Related lists
- Ogden 2007, p. 330
- Historic Aircraft Restoration Museum: Vintage Planes Up Close
- Historic Aircraft Restoration Museum
- Al Stix, Jr. A Tour of the Historic Aircraft Restoration Museum Skyways magazine April 2006
- Fly a Vintage Aircraft - List of operators which provide flights in vintage naval and other historic Aircraft
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Historic Aircraft Restoration Museum.|
- Historic Aircraft Restoration Museum - Museum website
- Location -
- Very high resolution panoramic images: Hangar 1, Hangar 2, Hangar 3
- Don Parsons Restoration Air & Space Magazine, March 1, 2007
- Linda Shiner People and Planes of Creve Coeur Air & Space Magazine, July 1, 2005