A trotter working out on the track
|NRHP Reference #||66000560|
|Added to NRHP||October 15, 1966|
|Designated NHLFCP||May 23, 1966|
The Historic Track is a half-mile (900 m) harness racing track in Goshen, New York. It was opened in 1838 and has been in operation ever since, the oldest continuously operated horse racing track in North America.
Informal horse races had been held along neighboring Main Street (now part of NY 207) since the 1750s. The current track site was first used in 1838 when a ⅓-mile (530 m) circle around a circus ground near the south end of the track was cleared and prepared for regular racing. Later it would be succeeded by an oval track perpendicular to the current one, then a long square track around the whole site, until the current track was built in 1873.
Regular events were held at the track until the late 1970s, when the parimutuel machines were taken out. Today the track operates a limited but intense season every summer on Sundays in June, followed by a series of races between June 30 and July 4. It was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1966 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places later in the same year, when the National Register was created.
Goshen Central High School holds its annual graduation ceremony in front of the Historic Track grandstands, which seat 2,200 fans.
- List of horse racing venues
- List of National Historic Landmarks in New York
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Orange County, New York
- National Park Service (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Historic Track". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. 2007-09-14.
- "Goshen Historic Track" (PDF). (20.3 KB), retrieved from ustrotting.com July 23, 2007.
- Interpretive panel near track entrance, visited July 25, 2007.
- Richard Greenwood (December 9, 1975). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Historic Track" (pdf). National Park Service.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Historic Track.|