A historic district or heritage district is a section of a city which contains older buildings considered valuable for historical or architectural reasons. In some countries or jurisdictions, historic districts receive legal protection from certain types of development considered to be inappropriate.
Historic districts may or may not also be the center of the city. They may be coterminous with the commercial district, administrative district, or arts district, or separate from all of these. Historical districts are often parts of a larger urban setting, but they can also be parts or all of small towns, or a rural areas with historic agriculture-related properties, or even a physically disconnected series of related structures throughout the region.
In Canada, such districts are called "heritage conservation districts" or "heritage conservation areas" (known as "arrondissements historiques", "secteurs de conservation du patrimoine" or "districts de conservation du patrimoine" in French) and are governed by provincial legislation.
Many jurisdictions within the United States have specific legislation identifying and giving protection to designated historic districts.
The term "Historic District" is not used in the United Kingdom. The equivalent urban areas are known as Conservation Areas.
Iranian Heritage and Tourism organization has nominated and selected several cities for their valuable historical monuments and districts. Baft-e Tarikhi (In Persian: بافت تاریخی or historical texture) is the name such areas are labelled with. Naein, Isfahan and Yazd are examples of Iranian cities with historic districts.
- "New York City Designation Process". Historic Districts Council. Archived from the original on 16 September 2018.
- "Historic Preservation Overlay Zone (HPOZ)". Los Angeles Conservency. Archived from the original on 28 February 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-08-31. Retrieved 2010-08-28.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-09-18. Retrieved 2010-08-28.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Historic District Commissions - City of Boston". cityofboston.gov. Archived from the original on 2010-07-26.
- Caves, R. W. (2004). Encyclopedia of the City. Routledge. p. 343.
- "Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada" (PDF). Canadian Register of Historic Places. Parks Canada. Archived (PDF) from the original on 29 October 2012. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
Media related to Historic districts at Wikimedia Commons