History (European TV channel)
|Launched||11 November 1995
1 November 1999 (Ireland)
15 November 2004 (Germany)
17 October 2007 (Netherlands)
1 October 2008 (Romania)
|Owned by||A+E Networks UK (A&E Networks/Sky plc)|
|Picture format||16:9, 576i (SDTV)
0.4% (September 2015
|Slogan||Made Every Day|
|Broadcast area||Arab world, Balkans, Benelux, Central Europe & Eastern Europe, France, Iberian Peninsula, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Scandinavia, South Africa, United Kingdom|
|Headquarters||Brentford, West London (UK and Pan-Europe)
Munich (Germany, Austria & Switzerland)
Amsterdam (Netherlands & Flanders)
Madrid (Spain & Portugal)
|Formerly called||The History Channel (1995–2008)|
|Timeshift service||History +1|
|Sky (UK & Ireland)||Channel 529 (SD/HD)
Channel 530 (+1)
Channel 545 (SD)
|NOVA Greece (Greece)||Channel 404|
|CanalDigitaal (Netherlands)||Channel 19 (HD)|
|Sky Deutschland||Channel 407 (HD)
|Canal+ (Spain)||Channel 35|
|Sky Italia||Channel 407 (SD/HD)
Channel 408 (+1)
|Digiturk||Channel 188 (SD/HD)
|DStv (South Africa)||Channel 186|
|OSN (MENA)||Channel 508 (HD)|
|Virgin Media (UK)||Channel 270
Channel 271 (+1)
On Demand (including HD)
|Virgin Media Ireland||Channel 217
Channel 220 (HD)
|WightFibre (UK)||Channel 82|
|Ziggo (Netherlands)||Channel 28 (HD)|
|Primacom (Germany)||Channel 112|
|UPC Cablecom (Switzerland)||Channel 102 (HD)
|UPC Austria||Channel 531|
|ONO (Spain)||Channel 91|
|R (Spain)||Channel 53|
|TeleCable (Spain)||Channel 22|
|Euskaltel (Spain)||Channel 55|
|NOS (Portugal)||Channel 112|
|Cabovisão (Portugal)||Channel 24|
Channel 312 (SD)Channel 180 (HD)
|BT (UK)||Channel 327
Channel 379 (HD)
|KPN (Netherlands)||Channel 389|
|Movistar TV (Spain)||Channel 84|
|MEO (Portugal)||Channel 123|
|Optimus Clix (Portugal)||Channel 134|
|TalkTalk TV (UK)||Channel 327|
|Plusnet (UK)||Channel 327
Channel 379 (HD)
|TVPlayer||Watch live (UK only) (TVPlayer Plus subscription required)|
|Sky Go||Sky (UK & Ireland only)|
|Virgin TV Anywhere||Virgin Media (UK only)|
|Ziggo GO||ZiggoGO.tv (Netherlands only)|
|Horizon GO||horizon.tv (Ireland only)|
History (formerly known as History Channel UK) is a European television channel which broadcasts programs related to historical events and persons. It is owned by a joint venture of A&E Networks, owner of the American History, and British Sky Broadcasting (the UK's largest pay-TV provider). AMC Networks International DMC is responsible for signal distribution in Europe, with subsidiaries of AMC Networks International distribution representatives on the continent. Its programming, primarily in English, is subtitled or dubbed into regional languages. The channel is available through a number of satellite, cable, terrestrial and IPTV distributors across Europe, the Middle East and South Africa. In some countries, advertisements and announcements between programs are localized.
History has versions for Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Flanders, Spain and Portugal:
- History Germany: A joint venture of A&E Networks and NBC Universal Global Networks Germany
- History Italy: Formerly a joint venture of A&E Networks and Fox International Channels Italy, it became a sole venture of A&E Networks in 2012.
- History Netherlands, airing in the Netherlands and Flanders. RTL Nederland became responsible for advertising sales on 1 January 2016.
- Canal de História (also known as História): The History Channel Iberia joint venture of A&E Networks and AMC Networks International Iberia
History Channel UK began on 11 November 1995 as a weekday three-hour block (4 to 7 pm), consisting of Biography (restyled for a British audience), History Alive and Our Century. The channel was A&E's first international venture.
The History Channel began in Scandinavia in September 1997, broadcasting for three hours daily on the analogue Viasat platform. Initially time-sharing with TV1000 Cinema, it was later moved to the Swedish TV8 channel until November 2004 (when Viasat launched Viasat History).
On 26 October 2006, History Channel HD launched in the United Kingdom and Ireland. A high-definition version of the History Channel was launched in the Nordic region on 13 December 2007, offering a schedule separate from the standard-definition version. In January 2008, History Channel HD launched in the Netherlands. In November 2008 the History Channel was re-branded as History, and the high-definition channel became History HD.
The company behind the channel was known as The History Channel (UK) Limited until July 2009, when it was renamed AETN UK to reflect the company's several channels. On 22 September 2011, AETN UK was re-branded A&E Networks UK. The channel launched on British Telecom on 15 August 2013, and on TalkTalk on 28 August 2014.
A&E Networks UK operations
Since the introduction of History, the company has extended its line-up:
- Bio., from October 2000 to 4 November 2013
- CI on 10 July 2006
- Crime & Investigation Network Africa on 26 February 2007
- History HD on 26 October 2006
- History Africa on 1 December 2003
- Military History, from 28 July 2008 to 4 May 2013
- H2 on 4 May 2013 (replacing Military History)
- Lifetime on 4 November 2013 (replacing Bio.)
- Lifetime Africa on 22 July 2014
In German-speaking countries, History is operated by History Channel Germany, a joint venture of A&E Networks and NBC Universal Global Networks Germany. The channel began as the History Channel on 15 November 2004, and changed its name to History on 11 January 2009.
History is available on the Kabel Deutschland, Kabel BW-Unitymedia, Primacom and KabelKiosk cable networks in all German states, and is also available on cable in Austria and Switzerland. Although the channel was available on satellite on Arena, it was not available on Premiere until the latter was renamed Sky on 4 July 2009. At that time, History HD (a high-definition version of the channel) was introduced. The channel hosts the annual History Award, which has been given since 2005.
History Channel Iberia (Spain and Portugal)
Since 1996, History has been distributed under the name Canal de Historia—and, more recently, História—in Spain and Portugal by AMC Networks International Iberia in a joint venture with A&E Networks (owner of History). The channel has Spanish and Portuguese feeds with dubbed English programs and locally-produced programming.
História is available in Spain on Movistar+, cable networks (Telecable, R, Euskaltel), IPTV providers (Vodafone, Orange TV) and streaming media (TotalChannel). Historia HD became available in Spain on 3 November 2015. In Portugal, História is available through cable providers (NOS, Cabovisão) and IPTV (MEO, Vodafone).
Spanish locally-produced programming
- Arqueólogo por un día (2015), where a local celebrity spends a day working with archaeologists on an excavation
- La última cena (2014–2015)
Portuguese local-history programming
- Combatentes do Ultramar (2003), dedicated to the Portuguese Colonial War
- A ultima ceia (2014–2015)
- "Monthly viewing summary". BARB. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "Jaarrapport 2016" (PDF). Stichting Kijk Onderzoek.
- Richard Lambert and Sarah Whyte (10 April 2012). "Chello DMC Announces 'TV without Boundaries'" (PDF). Chello DMC.[permanent dead link]
- "History Channel UK Appoints Chello Zone As Distribution Representative". 4rfv.co.uk. 6 February 2008.
- Robert Briel (3 December 2015). "RTL Netherlands to handle A+E ad sales". BroadbandTVNews.com.
- "A & E Television Networks History". International Directory of Company Histories. 32. St. James Press. 2000. Retrieved 4 December 2013 – via Funding Universe.com.
- "Report from the Sat-UK mailing list: Report #98".
- Jarco Kriek (17 October 2007). "A&E Television Network breidt uit in Europa". Totaal TV.
- "THE HISTORY CHANNEL HD TO LAUNCH IN SCANDINAVIA" (Press release). AETN International. 8 October 2007. Archived from the original on 19 February 2012.
- Robert Briel (14 November 2007). "History Channel HD to launch in Holland". Broadband TV News.
- "History Channel rebranded 'History'". Digital Spy. 19 November 2008.
- Jan-Hein Visser (19 December 2008). "History Channel heet nu History". Totaal TV.
- "The History Channel UK Changes Name to AETN UK". AETN International. 2 July 2009. Archived from the original on 7 July 2011.
- "AETN UK rebrands as A+E Networks UK". Broadband TV News. 22 September 2011.
- "The History Channel ab Januar in neuem Gewand". Digital Fernsehen. 19 December 2008.
- "The History Channel Iberia". Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "Historia: Dónde vernos". Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "Historia: Historia HD". Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "Canal História: Dónde vernos". Retrieved 10 November 2015.