|Song by Delirious?|
|from the album King of Fools|
"History Maker" is the eleventh track on English Christian rock band Delirious?'s album King of Fools. It has become one of the band's best-known songs, and represents King of Fools in almost every one of their live setlists, along with the single "Deeper". "History Maker" was originally recorded as a guitar-driven six-minute rock epic, filled out by strings and synthesisers and featuring two 16-bar guitar solos. The lyrics of the song are on the power of prayer and becoming a "history maker"; i.e., someone who changes the course of history. "History Maker" became the theme song for Teen Mania's 97-98 Acquire the Fire tour, as well as Extreme Dream's YC 2000 in Alberta, Canada.
The song is greatly extended live, generally featuring the "Holy is the Lord" bridge of "God's Romance" and an extemporaneous speech by Martin Smith. The guitar solo is also occasionally extended (up to 40 bars), and the chorus of the song "Obsession" is often included after the "God's Romance" section. Martin Smith often announces this song with the sentence "This song is for all the history makers" at live concerts.
|Single by Delirious?|
|from the album History Makers|
|Released||28 March 2010|
|Delirious? singles chronology|
In February 2010, a campaign began on social networking site Facebook to get 'History Maker' into the UK charts for Easter. In response to the increasing support for the campaign, the decision was made to release the track as a single under the title 'History Makers'. The song was released for download on 28 March 2010. Two versions have been made available, the original studio version (featured on the album King of Fools and the 2009 compilation album History Makers), and a new live version taken from the band's upcoming final live album: 'Farewell Show'.
It entered the midweek chart at number 6 on 31 March 2010 and reached number 4 on 4/4/10. but only spent a week in the Top 40 after dropping to No.61 the next week. It was number 1 in the Indie singles chart.
1. History Makers (Studio Version)
2. History Makers (Live Version)
|Scotland Singles Chart||4|
|UK Singles Chart||4|
- King of Fools (1997 studio album) - 6:33
- d:tour 1997 Live at Southampton (1998 live album) - 6:04
- Deeper (2001 compilation album) - 6:33
- Access:d (2002 live album) - 8:40
- UP: Unified Praise (2003 live album) - 10:05
- Now Is the Time - Live at Willow Creek (2006 live CD+DVD) - at the DVD only
- My Soul Sings (2009 live CD+DVD)
- History Makers (2009 compilation album) - 6:33
- Dave Wood. "delirious.org.uk - King of Fools". Discography. delirious.org.uk. Retrieved 29 March 2010. External link in
- "Are Delirious? set to top the UK charts this Easter?" (PDF) (Press release). Invade The Airwaves. 5 March 2010. Retrieved 30 March 2010.[permanent dead link]
- Invade The Airwaves (2010). "Invade The Airwaves". Archived from the original on 28 March 2010. Retrieved 28 March 2010.
- "Facebook | Christian music topping the UK Charts!". Facebook. February 2010. Retrieved 29 March 2010.
- "Fans Demand Delirious? Single" (PDF) (Press release). Kingsway Communications Ltd. 12 March 2010. Retrieved 30 March 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "News - Delirious? Track 'History Maker' To Be Released As Single After Facebook Campaign". Louder Than The Music. Retrieved 21 February 2012.
- Invade The Airwaves (2010). "Invade The Airwaves | Buy The Single". Archived from the original on 26 March 2010. Retrieved 29 March 2010.
- Paul Smith (26 March 2010). "CompassionArt | Press Releases". CompassionArt News. CompassionArt. Archived from the original on 14 April 2010. Retrieved 29 March 2010.
- Invade The Airwaves (2010). "Invade The Airwaves | Campaign FAQ". Archived from the original on 26 March 2010. Retrieved 29 March 2010.
- BBC Radio 1 (31 March 2010). "BBC - Radio 1 - The Official Chart Update with Greg James - The Official UK Singles Chart Update". The Official UK Singles Chart Update. BBC. Retrieved 31 March 2010.
- BBC Radio 1 (4 April 2010). "BBC - Radio 1 - The Official Chart with Reggie Yates - The Official Top 40 Singles Chart". The Official UK Singles Chart Update. BBC. Retrieved 4 April 2010.
- "Delirious? - History Makers". Official Charts Company. 17 April 2010. Retrieved 21 February 2012.
- BBC Radio 1 (4 April 2010). "BBC - Radio 1 - The Official Chart with Reggie Yates - The Official Top 30 Indie Singles Chart". The Official UK Singles Chart Update. BBC. Retrieved 4 April 2010.