History of a Salaryman
|History of a Salaryman|
Promotional poster for History of a Salaryman
|Also known as||Salaryman Cho Han Ji|
|Written by||Jang Young-chul
|Directed by||Yoo In-shik|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||22|
|Running time||Mondays and Tuesdays at 21:55 (KST)|
|Production company(s)||JS Pictures|
|Original network||Seoul Broadcasting System|
|Original release||2 January– 13 March 2012|
|Preceded by||A Thousand Days' Promise|
|Followed by||Fashion King|
|SBS official website|
History of a Salaryman (Hangul: 샐러리맨 초한지; RR: Selreorimaen Chohanji; lit. "Salaryman Cho Han Ji") is a 2012 South Korean television series that aired on SBS from January 2 to March 31, 2012 on Mondays and Tuesdays at 21:55 for 22 episodes. Starring Lee Beom-soo, Jung Ryeo-won, Jung Gyu-woon, Hong Soo-hyun, Lee Deok-hwa, and Kim Seo-hyung, the series is a quirky comedy and murder mystery about an ordinary salaryman who finds himself involved with corporate spies and rival pharmaceutical companies. It satirizes the historical events during China's Chu–Han Contention (206-202 B.C.) to become a parody of modern office politics.
Yoo-bang (Lee Beom-soo) sneaks into a villa at night and discovers the dead body of Chunha Medical Group executive Ho-hae (Park Sang-myun). His niece Yeo-chi (Jung Ryeo-won) is hiding in the room. At the funeral, both Yoo-bang and Yeo-chi get arrested for murder. How did things come to this? It all began three months ago when Chunha began trial testing for their new medicine. In exchange for a job recommendation from Ho-hae, Yoo-bang agrees to join the trial testing and steal information about the drug. Rival company director Hang-woo (Jung Gyu-woon) is also there undercover to find out about the new drug. Spoiled rich girl Yeo-chi is undergoing training because her grandfather wants her to inherit Chunha one day, though she herself is completely uninterested. For the trial testing, 30 testers, including Yoo-bang and Hang-woo, are shut off from the outside world for 10 days. During the trial period, strange things begin to happen...
- Lee Beom-soo as Yoo-bang
- Hero of the series who is a bright and optimistic man. He steals the heart of Yeo-chi. His historical analogue is Liu Bang, the first emperor of Han Dynasty.
- Jung Ryeo-won as Baek Yeo-chi
- A spoiled rich girl who was raised by her grandfather after her parents' death. Her historical analogue is Empress Lü Zhi.
- Jung Gyu-woon as Choi Hang-woo
- Antagonist of the series. He tries to get revenge against Chairman Jin for his father's suicide. His historical analogue is Xiang Yu, the king of Western Chu.
- Hong Soo-hyun as Cha Woo-hee
- A woman who was engaged to Hang-woo, and whom Yoo-bang has a crush on. In an earlier draft of the script, Woo-hee dies after reuniting with Hang-woo, but the script was modified to give fans a happier ending. Her historical analogue is Consort Yu.
- Kim Seo-hyung as Mo Ga-bi
- She worked as the secretary for Jin Si-hwang, whom she later kills to become the company chairman herself. She manipulates people to do her bidding, among them her colleague Park Bum-jung, who sincerely loved her. In the end she goes insane after she is found guilty for conspiring to kill Jin and the attempted murder of Woo-hee.
- Lee Deok-hwa as Jin Si-hwang (Yeo-chi's grandfather). His historical analogue is Qin Shi Huang, the last emperor of Qin Dynasty.
- Kim Il-woo as Jang Ryang. His historical analogue is Zhang Liang.
- Yoon Yong-hyun as Bun Kwae. His historical analogue is Fan Kuai.
- Lee Ki-young as Park Bum-jung. His historical analogue is Fan Zeng.
- Yoo Hyung-kwan as So Ha. His historical analogue is Xiao He.
- Yang Hyung-wook as Han Shin. His historical analogue is Han Xin.
- Kim Eung-soo as Oh Ji-rak
- Park Sang-myun as Jin Ho-hae. His historical analogue is Hu Hai.
- Jang Hyun-sung as Choi Hang-ryang. His historical analogue is Xiang Liang.
- Im Hyun-sik - Yoo-bang's father
- Lee Joo-shil - Yoo-bang's mother
- Lee Joon - Yeo-chi's boyfriend (cameo, ep 1)
- Jeong Bo-seok - Congressman Jo Pil-yeon (cameo, ep 6), the antagonist in the series Giant.
- Jeon Jae-hyung - Delivery man (cameo)
- Kang Kyung-joon - Bok Sa-yeol (cameo, ep 17)
- 성냥팔이 소녀 (Little Match Girl) - Yoon Gun feat. Misty
- 너 때문에 (For You) - JeA (Brown Eyed Girls)
- Bravo - Lee Teuk (Super Junior), Key (SHINee)
- 기대했단 말야 (Not What I Expected) - JOO
- 샐러리맨 초한지 Title
- Relax Your Mind
- 긴 여정
- 방이 Theme
- 샐러리맨 초한지 Score Title
|Episode #||Original broadcast date||Average audience share|
|TNmS Ratings||AGB Nielsen|
|Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area||Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area|
|1||2 January 2012||8.1%||9.9%||8.7%||9.8%|
|2||3 January 2012||10.2%||11.9%||10.0%||12.3%|
|3||9 January 2012||11.3%||12.8%||10.5%||12.3%|
|4||10 January 2012||10.2%||12.1%||10.1%||11.4%|
|5||16 January 2012||13.5%||14.9%||12.1%||12.7%|
|6||17 January 2012||11.5%||12.2%||10.6%||11.6%|
|7||23 January 2012||9.2%||9.4%||9.9%||10.8%|
|8||24 January 2012||12.6%||14.5%||12.8%||13.5%|
|9||30 January 2012||14.5%||16.1%||13.7%||15.2%|
|10||31 January 2012||15.9%||17.3%||15.1%||15.8%|
|11||6 February 2012||17.1%||19.1%||14.6%||15.7%|
|12||7 February 2012||19.4%||21.5%||15.1%||15.0%|
|13||13 February 2012||20.1%||23.8%||15.9%||16.3%|
|14||14 February 2012||20.4%||22.9%||16.0%||16.2%|
|15||20 February 2012||21.6%||25.2%||16.9%||18.1%|
|16||21 February 2012||22.2%||24.3%||19.1%||19.6%|
|17||27 February 2012||21.0%||22.8%||18.8%||19.4%|
|18||28 February 2012||23.0%||25.2%||19.2%||19.7%|
|19||5 March 2012||22.7%||24.7%||18.7%||19.2%|
|20||6 March 2012||23.3%||24.5%||21.0%||21.9%|
|21||12 March 2012||22.1%||23.5%||19.1%||19.9%|
|22||13 March 2012||24.2%||24.7%||21.7%||22.4%|
Awards and nominations
||Top 10 Stars||Jung Ryeo-won||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Jung Ryeo-won||Won|
|Special Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Lee Deok-hwa||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Lee Beom-soo||Nominated|
|Special Acting Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Kim Seo-hyung||Nominated|
- "Kim Suh-hyung Prepared to Play Villain While Biding Time". The Chosun Ilbo. 23 March 2012. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- Noh, Hyun-gi (25 December 2011). "History of Salaryman, comic tribute to breadwinners". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- Choi, Ji-eun (3 January 2012). "REVIEW: SBS TV series Salaryman, Cho Han Ji - 1st Episode". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- "Kim Suh Hyung on Salaryman: Hong Soo Hyun Dies in Original Script". Drama Haven. 8 July 2012. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- "TNMS Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". TNMS Ratings (in Korean). Retrieved 2012-01-02.
- "AGB Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Retrieved 2012-01-02.