Hit Me with Your Best Shot
|"Hit Me with Your Best Shot"|
Artwork for U.S. vinyl single
|Single by Pat Benatar|
|from the album Crimes of Passion|
|B-side||"Prisoner of Love"|
|Released||September 15, 1980|
|Format||Vinyl record (7")|
|Pat Benatar singles chronology|
"Hit Me with Your Best Shot" is a song by American rock singer Pat Benatar. In 1980, it was released as the second single from her second album Crimes of Passion. It hit No. 7 in Cash Box, and reached No. 9 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming her first Top 10 hit.
"Hit Me with Your Best Shot" sold well over a million copies in the U.S., achieving a gold certification by the RIAA. The song is one of Benatar's most recognizable tracks. Heard at many baseball and soccer games, the song has been featured on many compilation albums, including both multi-artist works as well as those just focusing on Benatar (such as 10 Great Songs and Greatest Hits).
- 1 Structure
- 2 Chart performance
- 3 Sampling
- 4 Appearances in other media and popular culture
- 5 Alternate song versions and covers
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Eddie Schwartz, writer of the song, said that he came up with the title of the song after attending a "pillow punching" therapy session in Toronto, but stated that the title is to be taken metaphorically. The song is in E major and features a general chord progression of I-IV-vi-V, with occasional added chords built on passing and neighboring tones, although Benatar has commented that in hindsight she would have preferred to replace the C# minor (vi) chord with F# minor (ii). The song was released as a single in the USA, and possibly other markets, in a mix with an additional lead guitar track. The song was later one of the songs available to put on a free mail-order customized mix CD with every pizza order as a part of a Pizza Hut promotion for their "New Yorker"-style pizza.
The song was sampled by D12 in a song of the same name. It was originally made for Eminem's seventh studio album Recovery, released in 2010, but it did not make the final cut. In early 2011, however, the song was leaked on the Internet.
Appearances in other media and popular culture
- A version of the song is a playable track in the game Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, while the original master track is playable in Guitar Hero On Tour for the Nintendo DS and Guitar Hero: Smash Hits for consoles.
- This song also is a downloadable song in the Rock Band series, and is playable in Rock Band Track Pack: Classic Rock.
- Able to be sung as a Karaoke challenge by the lead character Wei Shen in Sleeping Dogs
- A live version appeared in Guitar Hero Live.
TV commercials and reality TV programs
- American band My American Heart covered the song for a commercial for the French online video game service GameTap.
- In the reality TV series The Glee Project, contestants sang the song as part of a mashup of "Hit Me with Your Best Shot"/"One Way Or Another" in the sixth episode entitled "Fearlessness" in the second season.
- The song is featured in a Prestone Antifreeze Coolant commercial in 1999.
- The song is featured in a 2017 TV commercial for Walmart to promote the 2017 film Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
- The song is performed by Pat Benatar in the 1982 movie Spring Fever.
- The song is covered a cappella in the 2012 film Pitch Perfect.
- The song is briefly sung by Donkey in Shrek Forever After when he is briefly used by two witch as a horse of travel and a radio.
- It is covered in the 2012 movie Rock of Ages by Catherine Zeta-Jones featuring a dance scene.
- The song appeared on an episode The Goldbergs Season 1 Episode 11 Kara-te.
- The song appeared on an episode Regular Show Season 2 Episode 26 Go Viral.
- The song appeared on an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
- The song appeared on an episode of Supergirl.
- The song appeared in the 1983 pilot episode of Kids Incorporated. The song later appeared in Kids Incorporated in 1984 during the Season 1 episode "Basketball Blues".
- The small part of the song was sung in episode 23 of season 1 of Community called "Modern Warfare". It is sung by the Glee club during a paintball tournament.
- The song plays during the Disney California Adventure ride Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT!.
Alternate song versions and covers
Aberdonian Singing Sensation Karen Sinclair performed a cover of "Hit Me with Your Best Shot" to qualify for the Globe Inn 2015 'Can You Front a Rock Band' competition, with local rock band FUBAR.
- Wilhite, Jud (2007). That Crazy Little Thing Called Love: The Soundtrack of Marriage, Sex, and Faith. Standard Publishing. p. 105. ISBN 978-0-7847-1944-2.
- "Benatar Pat "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" Chords". Tablaturas.buanzo.com.ar. 1997-06-30. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Interview with Geoff Reynolds, "Pat Benatar Fires Away on Marriage, Middle Age, and the Future of Rock and Roll," Rocker Quarterly, Vol. IX, No. 4 (Winter 1995-96), p. 47.
- "ARIA Charts - End Of Year Charts - Top 50 Singles 1988". Aria.com.au. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1981/Top 100 Songs of 1981". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- Inc, Activision. "Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - Xbox 360: Video Games". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- Inc, Activision. "Guitar Hero Smash Hits: Nintendo Wii: Video Games". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- Inc, Activision. "Guitar Hero: On Tour: Video Games". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Hit Me With Your Best Shot by Pat Benatar // Songs // Rock Band®". Rockband.com. 2007-11-20. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- ""Hit Me With Your Best Shot" - Xbox.com". Marketplace.xbox.com. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Walmart TV Commercial, 'Be Jedi Ready' Song by Pat Benatar". ispot.tv. Retrieved December 4, 2017.
- Samantha Grossman. "Kelly Clarkson Best Covers: Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Nick Jonas". TIME.com.