|EP by Lady Gaga|
|Released||August 25, 2009|
|Lady Gaga chronology|
Hitmixes is the second extended play (EP) by American recording artist Lady Gaga, released on August 25, 2009. Featuring remixes of songs from Gaga's debut album, The Fame (2008), the album was only released in Canada, by Universal Music Canada. Hitmixes features mixes from various musicians, including RedOne and Space Cowboy, who previously worked with Gaga. The EP hosts 1980s-influenced and house remixes. Hitmixes received positive reviews from the Calgary Herald and Blare Magazine, and peaked at number eight on the Canadian Albums Chart.
Background and composition
Lady Gaga released her debut album, The Fame, on August 19, 2008; It spawned five singles: "Just Dance", "Poker Face", "Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)", "LoveGame" and "Paparazzi". "Eh, Eh" was not released in North America, and was not remixed for Hitmixes. The other four singles all reached the top three of the Canadian Hot 100. The album's title track, "The Fame", was also remixed and included on the EP. Gaga's main producer, RedOne, produced a remix of "Just Dance" for the record; other producers were Robots to Mars, Chew Fu, Space Cowboy, Moto Blanco and Guéna LG. Hitmixes was released as a compact disc on August 25, 2009 in Canada only by Universal Music Canada. Moto Blanco's "Paparazzi" remix and the Glam as You remix of "The Fame" have 1980s influences, while the "LoveGame" Chew Fu Ghettohouse Fix and Space Cowboy's mix of "Poker Face" feature house styles, including incorporation of trance music and synthesizers. Rock singer Marilyn Manson and rapper Kardinal Offishall contribute additional vocals to the EP as featured artists.
Due to its Canada-only release, Hitmixes did not receive many professional reviews, however, in its review, the Calgary Herald stated that several tracks were "artfully and decadently remixed". Dan Rankin of Blare Magazine gave the EP three-and-a-half stars out of five, saying that the mixes showed "varying degrees of success". Rankin especially praised Kardinal Offishall's vocals on the RedOne remix of "Just Dance" and singled it and the "LoveGame" Chew Fu Ghettohouse Fix as the best tracks on the album. Hitmixes debuted and peaked on the Canadian Albums Chart at number eight, on the issue dated September 12, 2009. The next week it fell to number sixteen, and spent its third and final week on the chart at number twenty-two.
|1.||"LoveGame (Chew Fu Ghettohouse Fix)" (featuring Marilyn Manson)||Lady Gaga, RedOne||Chew Fu||5:20|
|2.||"Poker Face (Space Cowboy Remix)"||Lady Gaga, RedOne||Space Cowboy||4:53|
|3.||"Just Dance (RedOne Remix)" (featuring Kardinal Offishall)||Lady Gaga, RedOne, Aliaune Thiam||RedOne||4:18|
|4.||"Paparazzi (Moto Blanco Edit)"||Lady Gaga, Rob Fusari||Moto Blanco||4:06|
|5.||"The Fame (Glam as You Remix)"||Lady Gaga, Martin Kierszenbaum||Guéna LG||3:57|
|6.||"Just Dance (Robots to Mars Remix)"||Lady Gaga, RedOne, Thiam||Robots to Mars||4:37|
|7.||"LoveGame (Robots to Mars Remix)"||Lady Gaga, RedOne||Robots to Mars||3:12|
|Canadian Albums (Billboard)||8|
- "Fame: Lady Gaga". Amazon.com. Retrieved January 28, 2011.
- "Lady Gaga Album & Song Chart History: Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved July 20, 2010.
- "Giveaway". Times-Colonist. Postmedia Network. August 27, 2009. p. C3.
Lady Gaga's new release, Hitmixes, is only available in Canada, and includes Just Dance, Poker Face, LoveGame, and Paparazzi
- "Hitmixes: Lady Gaga". Amazon.ca Inc. Retrieved January 28, 2011.
- Rankin, Dan (August 24, 2009). "Album Reviews – 24/8/09". Blare Magazine. Archived from the original on June 12, 2013.
- Hitmixes (CD liner). Lady Gaga. Canada: Universal Music. 2009.
- "Disc Picks; Rounding Up Some Recent Releases". Calgary Herald. Postmedia Network. August 25, 2009. p. E2.
- Williams, John (October 4, 2009). "DJ spins onto charts". Toronto Sun. Retrieved January 28, 2011.
- "Lady Gaga – Chart history" Billboard Canadian Albums Chart for Lady Gaga. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- "Canadian Albums". Billboard. September 26, 2009. Retrieved January 28, 2011.
- "Hit Mixes – Lady Gaga > Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved January 28, 2011.