HiveMind is an upcoming real life simulation being designed by Will Wright's company of the same name. Wright calls it "personal gaming", in which the player's interests affect the content of the game, saying, "Rather than craft a game like FarmVille for players to learn and play, we learn about you and your routines and incorporate that into a form of game play." The game will harvest data about the players in order to create content. It would not initiate this process, but would be permitted to do so by players. It has been described as "an immersive game that uses real-world information about a user to develop a unique in-game experience tailored to each player."
It was announced in early June 2012 that the entire project was on hold due to ongoing legal disputes between company executives. Said Wright, "Hivemind is still a company. But it has no money. No nothing. It's just sitting there because of the litigation. It is frozen. It's so complex and there's quite a bit of disappointment... We have to find out where this is going in the near term." On October 26, Wright and HiveMind co-founder Jawad Ansari stated they had settled their disagreements regarding the company. Wright said, "We are pleased to have reached a friendly and respectful resolution. Jawad’s entrepreneurial energy, passion for the expansion of the online game industry and tenacious execution brought the necessary elements together to build Hive Mind to where the operating team can take the Company forward."
- Takahashi, Dean (November 16, 2011). "Inside Will Wright’s next big game: HiveMind (exclusive)". VentureBeat. VentureBeat. Retrieved November 22, 2011.
- Mix, John (November 16, 2011). "Report: Will Wright's HiveMind Transforms Personal Data into Gameplay | Game|Life". Wired. Condé Nast. Retrieved November 22, 2011.
- Knight, Shawn (November 21, 2011). "Will Wright details project HiveMind, first "personal gaming" experience". TechSpot. TechSpot, Inc. Retrieved November 22, 2011.
- Rose, Mike (June 6, 2012). "Will Wright's Hivemind start-up halted by litigation issues". Gamasutra. UBM TechWeb. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- "Hive Mind, Inc. Founders Successfully Resolved All Disputes". Business Wire. October 26, 2012. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- Takahashi, Dean (November 1, 2012). "SimCity pioneer Will Wright settles game startup Hive Mind lawsuit". VentureBeat. Retrieved December 13, 2012.