|Elevation||686 ft (209 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1306579|
Hixson is a former unincorporated community and now part of the city of Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee, United States. It is in the northeastern part of Chattanooga and is part of the Chattanooga, TN-GA Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Hixson is typically defined as the area north of Rivermont (a Chattanooga neighborhood), east of the city of Red Bank and U.S. Highway 27, and south of unincorporated Middle Valley and Thrasher Pike. It is bordered to the east by the Tennessee River. Neighborhoods within Hixson include DuPont, Northgate, Big Ridge, and Valleybrook.
Hixson is represented on the Chattanooga City Council with two district seats – District 2 currently held by Jerry Mitchell and District 3 currently held by Ken Smith. Hixson is represented on the Hamilton County Commission in two districts as well: District 1, currently held by Randy Fairbanks; and District 3, held by Greg Martin.
Hixson has a retail center based around Northgate Mall. Originally built in 1972, it is one of two major mall shopping venues for Chattanooga (the other is the larger Hamilton Place). CBL in 2012 purchased Northgate Mall for $11.5 million and has announced a major renovation for the mall.
The school system is run by the Hamilton County government, as the county and city school systems were merged in 1997, after a 1995 voting referendum. Hixson has one public high school – the Hixson High School. Hixson also has one predominant middle school – the Hixson Middle School – although Loftis Middle School serves a small portion of the community on the north side of Big Ridge. Currently there are five elementary schools in the public system that serve the area: Big Ridge Elementary, McConnell Elementary, Ganns Middle Valley Elementary, DuPont Elementary, and Hixson Elementary. However, this is likely to change in the near future as the Hamilton County Board of Education has selected two of these schools for reassignment. Current plans call for DuPont Elementary to be closed and merged with Alpine Crest and Rivermont Elementary. Ganns Middle Valley Elementary will have a larger school built on a site which is yet to be determined.
Hixson has several area attractions. The Chickamauga Dam is part of its eastern border along with several marinas along the Tennessee River. Greenway Farms is part of the North Chickamauga Creek Conservancy and offers hiking, canoeing, sports, and a dog park. Valleybrook Golf Course hosts the Choo Choo Classic and was a regular PGA stop from 1983 to 1991 with the Chattanooga Classic.
- Tennessee Hometown Locator
- "City Council Map; dated ". Archived from the original on July 18, 2012. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- District Map; dated .
- Northgate to get Multimillion; October 14, 2012 Chattanooga Times Free Press article; retrieved .
- "School District Profile". Archived from the original on February 1, 2013. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- zone map hixson high.pdf Hamilton County HS zone maps[permanent dead link]
- "Hamilton County MS zone maps" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on December 27, 2010. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- zone map loftis.pdf Loftis[permanent dead link]
- zone map big ridge elementary.pdf Hamilton County ES zone maps[permanent dead link]
- Hamilton School Board Struggles with Building Needs; WRCB-TV on-line story; retrieved .
- North Chick.org