|Created by||Harald Eia
|Country of origin||Norway|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||7|
|Running time||40 minutes|
|Original release||March 1– April 19, 2010|
Hjernevask ("Brainwash") is a Norwegian science documentary miniseries that aired on NRK1 in 2010. The series, consisting of seven episodes, was created and presented by the comedian and sociologist Harald Eia. Each episode featured Eia interviewing Norwegian social scientists about their theories of gender and social constructionism, and then confronting them with contrary data and testimony he had obtained from experts in other fields, such as biology and evolutionary psychology. Experts interviewed for the series included Simon Baron-Cohen, Steven Pinker, Simon LeVay, David Buss, Glenn Wilson, and Anne Campbell. The documentary caused embarrassment for the Norwegian social scientists and generated much public debate in Norway. The entire series has since been released online.
Objectives and awards
Eia and co-producer Ole Martin Ihle have named Steven Pinker's book The Blank Slate as an inspiration for the documentary series. The series was a huge success, and Eia was awarded the Fritt Ord Honorary Award for "having precipitated one of the most heated debates on research in recent times." Shortly afterward, the Nordic Council of Ministers closed down the Nordic Gender Institute, though it was unclear whether the series had influenced their decision.
The producers have made the series available online. Episodes linked here have English subtitles:
- Braanen, Bjørgulv (17 March 2010). "Hjernevask". Klassekampen (in Norwegian).
- Mikkelsen, Solveig (25 November 2011). "- Rammer kritisk og teoretisk tenkning". Universitetsavisa (in Norwegian). Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- "NRK legger ut Eia-intervjuet". Side2 (in Norwegian). Nettavisen. 1 April 2010.
- "Vasker forskerhjerner". Universitas. 2010-02-24. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "Harald Eia, Dag Hessen and Bjørn Vassnes receive the Fritt Ord Foundation Tribute". The Fritt Ord Foundation. December 8, 2010. Retrieved September 5, 2012.
- "Norwegian wood and the nature-nurture question". Mail archive. 2011-02-25. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "Hjernevask på nrk.no" (in Norwegian). NRK. Retrieved April 6, 2010.
- Hjernevask at the Internet Movie Database
- A playlist of all 7 episodes with English subtitles
- A playlist of the series on YouTube
|This Norwegian television programme-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a scientific documentary work for radio, television or the internet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|