|Created by||Harald Eia|
|Country of origin||Norway|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||7|
|Running time||40 minutes|
|Original release||1 March –|
19 April 2010
Hjernevask ("Brainwash") is a Norwegian documentary miniseries about science that aired on NRK1 in 2010. The series, consisting of seven episodes, was created and presented by the comedian and sociologist Harald Eia.
The series contrasted cultural determinist models of human behavior (also referred to as the Standard social science model) with nature-nurture interactionist perspectives. Experts interviewed for the series included Simon Baron-Cohen, Steven Pinker, Simon LeVay, David Buss, Glenn Wilson, Robert Plomin and Anne Campbell. This ignited a wide public discussion on the subject of the nature versus nurture debate. The entire series has since been released online.
Objectives and awards
Eia and coproducer Ole Martin Ihle have named Steven Pinker's book The Blank Slate as an inspiration for the documentary series. The series was a huge success, and Eia was awarded the Fritt Ord Award for "having precipitated one of the most heated debates on research in recent times".
The producers have made the series available online. Episodes linked here have English subtitles available:
- Braanen, Bjørgulv (17 March 2010). "Hjernevask". Klassekampen (in Norwegian).
- Mikkelsen, Solveig (25 November 2011). "- Rammer kritisk og teoretisk tenkning". Universitetsavisa (in Norwegian). Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- "NRK legger ut Eia-intervjuet". Side2 (in Norwegian). Nettavisen. 1 April 2010.
- "Slik brukes Hjernevask til å sverte norsk kjønnsforskning". forskning.no (in Norwegian). 29 April 2019.
- "Vasker forskerhjerner". Universitas. 2010-02-24. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "Harald Eia, Dag Hessen and Bjørn Vassnes receive the Fritt Ord Foundation Tribute". The Fritt Ord Foundation. December 8, 2010. Archived from the original on October 23, 2013. Retrieved September 5, 2012.
- "Norwegian wood and the nature-nurture question". Mail archive. 2011-02-25. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "Hjernevask på nrk.no" (in Norwegian). NRK. Retrieved April 6, 2010.
- Internet Archive playlist with full episodes and complete English subtitles
- A playlist of all 7 episodes with English subtitles (incomplete)
- A playlist of the series on YouTube (incomplete)
|This Norwegian television programme-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a scientific documentary work for radio, television or the internet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|