Ho Chi Minh City International University
|Ho Chi Minh City
|Đại học Quốc Tế Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh|
|Established||5 December 2003|
|Rector||Hồ Thanh Phong|
|Location||Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam|
|Campus||Suburban, 11.52 hectares|
|Affiliations||Vietnam National University, Ho Chi Minh City|
Ho Chi Minh City International University (a.k.a. IU or HCMIU) is an English-speaking university located in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. It is a member university of Vietnam National University, Ho Chi Minh City. It was established in 2003 with the aim to become one of the leading research universities in Vietnam.
The teaching is conducted mainly in English. Thus, in addition to entrance exams, students also have to take an English test or have a TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS or equivalent English certificate as required by HCMIU and its cooperative universities. Majors offered by HCMIU are: business, biotechnology, electrical engineering, information technology, biomedical engineering, civil engineering, industrial systems engineering and applied mathematics.
- 1 Cooperative and Twinning Programs
- 2 Postgraduate Programs
- 3 Schools and Departments
- 3.1 School of Business
- 3.2 School of Biotechnology
- 3.3 School of Electrical Engineering
- 3.4 School of Computer Science and Engineering
- 3.5 Departments Biomedical Engineering
- 3.6 Department of Industrial Systems Engineering
- 3.7 Department of Civil Engineering
- 3.8 Department of Mathematics
- 3.9 Department of English
- 3.10 Department of Physics
- 4 Accreditation
- 5 Student Life
- 6 Campuses
- 7 Board of Rectors
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Cooperative and Twinning Programs
The university has education partnerships with some universities from The United States of America, The United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. Students may study two years at the university and two or three graduate years overseas. The tuition fee is higher than in other Vietnamese universities. Diplomas will be issued by HCMIU's cooperative universities.
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- State University of New York at Binghamton
- University of Houston
- Doctor of Biotechnology
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Science in Biotechnology
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Master of Science in Information Management
- Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering
- Master of Science in Industrial Systems Engineering
- Master of Science in Applied Mathematics
- Master of Science in Leadership, joint program with Northeastern University, USA
Schools and Departments
Currently, International University has 4 schools and 6 departments as listed below:
School of Business
- Business Administration, with 4 specializations:
- Finance and Banking, with 2 specializations:
School of Biotechnology
- Biotechnology, with 4 tracks:
- Food Technology, with 2 tracks:
- Production Management
- Aquatic Resource Management, with 2 tracks:
- Chemical Biology
School of Electrical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering, with the following specializations:
- Automation and Control Engineering
School of Computer Science and Engineering
- Information Technology, with 3 specializations:
Departments Biomedical Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering, with 4 tracks:
Department of Industrial Systems Engineering
Department of Civil Engineering
The department offers the program of Civil Engineering.
Department of Mathematics
Department of English
The English Department provides globally standardized language programs to assist students in their studies, which are conducted wholly in English.
Department of Physics
The International University has received accreditation from the ASEAN University Network - Quality Assurance (AUN-QA) for the following programs:
- Computer Science (2009)
- Biotechnology (2011)
- Business Administration (2012)
- Electronics and Telecommunications (2013, AUN - DAAD)
Students at the International University run over 15 clubs and organizations, including volunteer groups, academic clubs and common-interest teams. Most organizations are funded and governed by the Youth Union and the Students Union, while a few others are directly run and supported by Schools and Departments.
- Event Department
- External Relations Department
- Information Department
- Science and Technology Department
- Social Work Team (SWT)
- English Teaching Volunteers (ETV)
- Arts Team (Arteam)
- Enactus IU (formerly SIFE IU)
- Soft Skills Club (SSC)
- Guitar Club (GC)
- English Club (IEC)
- French Club (FC)
- Sports Club (SC)
- Japan Club
- Securities Exchange Club (SEC)
- Marketing Club (Martic)
- IT Club (ITC)
- English Speaking Club (ESC)
Students can register for housing services at the following dormitories:
- VNU-HCMC Dormitory
- VNU-HCMC Guest House
- Dormitories in city center: Phan Liem and Ly Van Phuc streets.
- IU Main Campus, Thu Duc
- Ground floor, VNU-HCMC Central Library
- IU City Campus, 33 Ly Tu Trong, District 1
Board of Rectors
Rector: Assoc. Prof. Hồ Thanh Phong, PhD.
- Nguyễn Văn Chung, PhD.
- Trần Tiến Khoa, PhD.
- Hồ Nhựt Quang, PhD.
- "Transparent Report 2014". Retrieved June 25, 2015.
- "Architectural Planning Regulations by VNU-HCMC" (PDF). Vietnam National University, Ho Chi Minh City. May 28, 2015. Retrieved June 25, 2015.
- "Joint programs". International University. Retrieved June 25, 2015.
- "Educational Accreditation". International University. Retrieved June 25, 2015.