Hoarafushi (Haa Alif Atoll)
|Geographic atoll||Ihavandhippolhu Atoll|
|Administrative atoll||Haa Alif Atoll|
|Distance to Malé||317.57 km (197.33 mi)|
|• Council||Secretariat of the Hoarafushi Council|
|• Length||1.75 km (1.09 mi)|
|• Width||0.45 km (0.28 mi)|
|• Total||1,826 (including foreigners)|
|Time zone||UTC+05:00 (MST)|
|Area code(s)||650, 20|
Hoarafushi (Dhivehi: ހޯރަފުށި) is an inhabited island of Haa Alif Atoll, Maldives and is geographically part of the northern-most atoll in the country, Ihavandhippolhu Atoll. It is an island-level administrative constituency governed by the Hoarafushi Island Council.
The people who live in Hoarafushi claim to have originated from Gudhanfushi, a vanished island adjacent to Huvahandhoo. The population moved to Huvuhandhoo as Gudhanfushi eroded away before moving onto Hoarafushi. The new settlers also called the island 'Huvarafushi'.
|2006-2014: Census populations|
Currently the island has a government established Health Center from where the people of the island can get basic health facilities 24/7.
The Hoarafushi island has 3 well known educational institutions.
- H.a Atoll School (ހ.އ އަތޮޅު މަދަރުސާ), a government manipulated educational institution. (LKG to Grade 12)
- Adam Saleem Hadhaanee Pre-school (އާދަމް ސަލީމް ހަދާނީ ޕްރީ ސްކޫލް), Private. (Kindergarten)
- Thauleemul Bayaah (ތައުލީމުލް ބަޔާން), a private educational institution mainly focused on Qur'an Studies.
Police and security
A police station was established by the government to ensure the safeguard of the people living in the island.
- It is believed that Huyy Ali Didi, the first poet of the Maldives is buried at the Kuda mosque on this island.
- "Table PP5: Resident Population by sex, nationality and locality (administrative islands), 2014" (PDF). Population and Households Census 2014. National Bureau of Statistics. p. 33. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Coordinate Distance Calculator". Boulter.com. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Table 3.3: Total Maldivian Population by Islands" (PDF). National Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
|This Maldives location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|