A view from the town church
|Region||North Denmark (Nordjylland)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (Central Europe Time)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2|
Hobro (Danish pronunciation: [hoˈpʁoːˀ]) is an old market and railway town in Region Nordjylland on the Jutland peninsula in northern Denmark. It has a population of 12,083 (1 January 2019). The town is situated in a hilly terrain at the head of Mariager Fjord, close to the former Viking fortress of Fyrkat. It is the seat of Mariagerfjord municipality.
Hobro was until 1 January 2007 also a municipality (Danish, kommune) in North Jutland County covering an area of 166 km² and with a total population of 15,318 (2005). Its last mayor was Jørgen Pontoppidan, a member of the Venstre (Liberal Party) political party.
Hobro municipality ceased to exist due to Kommunalreformen ("The Municipality Reform" of 2007). It was merged with Arden, Hadsund, and Mariager municipalities to form the new Mariagerfjord municipality. This created a municipality with an area of 769 km² and a total population of 43,049 (2005). The new municipality belongs to Region Nordjylland ("North Jutland Region").
Hobro is served by Hobro railway station. It is located on the Randers-Aalborg railway line and offers direct InterCity services to Copenhagen and Frederikshavn and regional train services to Aarhus and Aalborg.
- Ingeborg Brams (1921-1989) a Danish film, radio, television and theatre actress
- Gert Frank (born 1956 in Hobro) a former cyclist, bronze medallist at the 1976 Summer Olympics
- Kenneth Bager (born 1962) a musician and record producer
- Tom Kristensen (born 1967 in Hobro) a racing driver 
- Matias Faldbakken (born 1973 in Hobro) a Norwegian artist and writer
- Michael V. Knudsen (born 1978 in Hobro) a handball player
- Bent Norup (1936–2007), operatic heldenbaritone
- Martin Thomsen (born 1982 in Hobro) a Danish footballer, over 350 caps, mainly for Skive IK
- Fie Udby Erichsen (born 1985 in Hobro) a rower and silver medalist in the women's single sculls at the 2012 Summer Olympics
- Michael Færk Christensen (born 1986 in Hobro), a racing cyclist
- Mariagerfjord municipality's official website (in Danish)
- Media related to Hobro at Wikimedia Commons
|This Danish location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|