Hockey: A People's History
|Hockey: A People's History|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of episodes||10|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Original release||28 July– 27 October 2006|
Hockey: A People's History is a television documentary series from the CBC's Documentary Unit. It premiered on September 17, 2006. It aired on Sunday nights, in two-episode blocks, on CBC Television; repeats were made later in the week on CBC Newsworld.
Much like previous series Canada: A People's History, the series told the history of the sport of ice hockey from a personal perspective, giving voice to various individuals, major and minor, as the sport grows and evolves in Canada. The series ran for 10 hours in total, and was shot in HD. Episode narration was by actor Paul Gross.
|Wikinews has related news: Fight for consideration as hockey's hometown rages on in Canada, as a premier takes issue|
- "A Simple Game"
- "The Money Game"
- "Empires on Ice"
- "The People's Game"
- "A National Obsession"
- "The Golden Age"
- "Soul of a Nation"
- "Hope and Betrayal"
- "Winter of Discontent"
- "Reclaiming the Game"
Warner Bros. and CBC Home Media have released a 6-Disc DVD collection. The collection features two episodes per disc as well as bonus features on the 6th disc.
McClelland & Stewart has released a print version of Hockey: A People's History by Michael McKinley as well as an updated version with additional final chapter.
- "Hockey: A People's History". Globe and Mail. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- Buma, Michael (9 March 2012). "Refereeing Identity: The Cultural Work of Canadian Hockey Novels". McGill-Queen's Press - MQUP. Retrieved 22 November 2016 – via Google Books.
- Joseph, Janelle; Darnell, Simon; Nakamura, Yuka (1 January 2012). "Race and Sport in Canada: Intersecting Inequalities". Canadian Scholars’ Press. Retrieved 22 November 2016 – via Google Books.
- Druick, Zoë; Kotsopoulos, Aspa (1 August 2008). "Programming Reality: Perspectives on English-Canadian Television". Wilfrid Laurier Univ. Press. Retrieved 22 November 2016 – via Google Books.
- Cormack, Patricia; Cosgrave, James F. (1 January 2013). "Desiring Canada: CBC Contests, Hockey Violence and Other Stately Pleasures". University of Toronto Press. Retrieved 22 November 2016 – via Google Books.
|This article about a television show originating in Canada is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a sports documentary for radio, television or the internet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|