|Starring||David Amber, Caroline Cameron, Jeff Marek, Ron MacLean (Saturday)|
|Related shows||NHL on Sportsnet, Hockey Night in Canada|
Hockey Central is the brand used for programs and segments covering hockey (particularly the National Hockey League) on the Canadian sports channel Sportsnet. The Hockey Central name encompasses several programs, including segments aired during Sportsnet Central, pre-game reports for Hockey Night in Canada and other NHL telecasts on Sportsnet, CBC, City, and the Sportsnet 590 radio show Hockey Central at Noon.
The typical format of Hockey Central's segments during Sportsnet Central and the Saturday show is a four-person panel of former NHL players, coaches, and GMs alongside hockey reporters and broadcasters. The members of the panel vary from day to day, but are usually from the same small pool of regulars. The show is known for (and often promotes) its sometimes fiery debates between Bill Watters and Nick Kypreos.
In the summer of 2006, host Darren Dreger left Sportsnet to join TSN and in 2018, Daren Millard left the network. Jeff Marek and David Amber are the current hosts of most of the Hockey Central segments appearing on Sportsnet.
As of Rogers' 2014-15 rights deal, Hockey Central Saturday replaced Scotiabank Hockey Tonight as the pre-game show for Hockey Night in Canada, airing in simulcast with Sportsnet and CBC Television.
Sportsnet's radio stations also air hockey-oriented programs under the same or similar titles, often with a focus on news and analysis relating to their local teams.
Hockey Central on CJCL
Rogers' Toronto radio station CJCL broadcasts a radio version of the show, initially known as Hockey Central at Noon, which is simulcast by Sportsnet 360. It is currently hosted by Jeff Marek and features Anthony Stewart as an analyst. David Amber fills in for Marek on Wednesdays.
The program was originally hosted by Daren Millard. Between August 2010 and March 2011, it was hosted by Greg Brady, who worked the noon to 3pm shift. In March 2011, Brady was reassigned to the morning show and Millard returned as host. Jeff Marek replaced Daren Millard as host in 2018. When Brady was unable to host Hockey Central at Noon, Doug Farraway served as fill-in host. During the summer (from mid-June until September) during Millard's first hosting stint, Farraway took over the hosting duties from him, with Howard Berger serving as fill-in for Farraway.
In October 2019 as part of changes to CJCL's lineup, the program expanded to two hours.
The program has a national focus; CJCL airs a Toronto Maple Leafs-focused program immediately before Hockey Central, the Leafs Hour, with Ben Ennis and JD Bunkis.
Hockey Central 960
Canucks Central at Noon
- David Amber
- Caroline Cameron
- Gord Stellick
- Christine Simpson
- John Garrett
- Jeff Marek
- Rob Faulds
- Elliotte Friedman
- Scott Oake
- Ron MacLean (Hockey Central Saturday only)
- Kelly Hrudey (Hockey Central Saturday only)
- Greg Brady (Hockey Central at Noon only)
- Mike Brophy
- Chantal Desjardins (Canadiens Central only)
- Glenn Healy
- Leah Hextall (Hockey Central Alberta only)
- Nick Kypreos
- Pierre LeBrun
- Doug MacLean
- Daren Millard
- John Shannon
- P.J. Stock
- George Stroumboulopoulos (Hockey Central Saturday only)
- That's Hockey, a competing program aired by TSN
- "The "new" 'Hockey Night in Canada': Much of the same, for better or worse". Awful Announcing. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Rogers unveils plans for NHL broadcasts next season". Toronto Star. February 4, 2014. Retrieved February 5, 2014.
- "CRTC clears way for Rogers to buy Score". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "CRTC Gives Final Approval to Rogers' Acquisition of Score Media". Broadcaster Magazine. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- Thiessen, Connie (2019-09-25). "Tim & Sid return to radio as part of new Sportsnet 590 The Fan lineup". Broadcast Dialogue. Retrieved 2019-11-27.