Hockeytown and Hockey Town are generic words used in common practice throughout the United States and Canada to identify any town, city or community that has a history and reputation of participating in the sport of hockey. Many North American cities are and have been referred to by the label. Warroad, Minnesota was the first city known to use the designation "Hockeytown." The term refers to the following cities:
- Binghamton, New York has been referred to as Hockey Town since the mid-1970s. After a tepid first year of support, the Broome Dusters grew greatly in popularity, and were able to draw a large number of sellouts. The quick success led the Hockey News to declare Binghamton as Hockey Town USA. Binghamton is home to an American Hockey League franchise.
- Detroit, Michigan – The phrase "Hockeytown," when combined with the distinctive winged wheel logo of the NHL's Detroit Red Wings, is a registered trademark owned by the franchise.
- Montreal, Quebec – The phrase "hockey town" has been applied to Montreal, Quebec. Montreal has been described as the "Best Hockey City in North America."
- O'Leary, Prince Edward Island – The phrase "Hockeytown PEI" has been applied to O'Leary, PEI.
- Warroad, Minnesota, has been referred to as "Hockeytown" for over 50 years. The "Hockeytown" Holiday Classic has been played in Warroad, Minnesota since 1994.
- Nashville, Tennessee, was referred to as a kind of "Hockeytown" in May, 2017.
The phrase "hockey town" has also been applied to Boston, Massachusetts, Buffalo, New York, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Saint Paul, Minnesota,, Sarpsborg, Norway, and Nashville, Tennessee.
- Administrator. "Would the real Hockeytown USA please stand up?". letsplayhockey.com. Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "2008 Inductee Jim Matthews - Bobby Orr Hall of Fame, Parry Sound, Ontario". bobbyorrhalloffame.com. Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- Fee, Kevin (May 10, 1999). "Detroit Snatches 'Hockeytown ' name from Warroad, Minn.". Knight Ridder/ Tribune Business news.
- "Sports Magazine | Toronto Sports Magazine | Online Sports Magazine Canada | TORO Online Magazine". Toromagazine.com. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "NHL: 10 Best Hockey Cities in North America". Bleacher Report. November 22, 2011. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- Kurtt, Kevin. "Would the real Hockeytown USA please stand up? please". Web article. letsplayhockey.com. Retrieved March 22, 2011.
- Tribune, Star, "Hockey Hub MN Boys High School Hockey 2011-2012 Tournaments 18th Annual "Hockeytown" Holiday Classic (Dec.28-30), Warroad.", Web article official schedule, MNhockeyhub.com, retrieved September 21, 2012
- Godfrey, Steven. "Nashville became its own kind of hockeytown". Web article. sbnation.com. Retrieved June 1, 2017.
- "Boston Bruins: Can Hockey Supplant Sox, Celtics and Patriots in Fans' Hearts?". Bleacher Report. June 2, 2011. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "New Hockeytown, USA". yahoo.com. Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "Velkommen til Hockeytown". google.com. Retrieved June 1, 2017.
- "Suddenly, Nashville is a hockey town". Associated Press article, published at Chicago Sun-Times News. Retrieved June 2, 2017.