|• Total||1.05 km2 (0.41 sq mi)|
|Elevation||474 m (1,555 ft)|
|• Density||130/km2 (340/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Altdorf, Bibern, Opfertshofen, Tengen (DE-BW)|
Profile (in German), SFSO statistics
Hofen is first mentioned in 1258 as Hofen.
Coat of arms
The coat of arms comes from the mayor of Schaffhausen and resident of Hofen, Tobias Holländer (24 February 1636 - 1711). His family came from Holland (the origin of the last name) though he was born in Basel. He became mayor in 1683 and on 18 January 1684 bought land in Hofen and built his manor house, the Holländer's house. Holländer was ambitious and a follower of King Louis XIV of France and he created a personal army in the model of Louis' army. His coat of arms represented his origin and ambition. The lion represents the lion of the Dutch Republic while the fleur-de-lis represents Louis XIV. When he built barracks for his private army in Hofen, he decorated them with his personal coat of arms, which is still visible. His coat of arms became the village coat of arms.
Hofen has an area, as of 2006[update], of 1 km2 (0.39 sq mi). Of this area, 73.1% is used for agricultural purposes, while 8.7% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 16.3% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (1.9%) is non-productive (rivers or lakes). The village is located in the Reiat district in the Biber valley. It is on the border with Baden-Württemberg in Germany, and half way between Opfertshofen, Switzerland and Büsslingen, Germany, on the Swiss Hauptstrasse from Thayngen to Büsslingen.
The historical population is given in the following table:
- Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz published by the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (in German) accessed 23 September 2009
- Hofen in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Flags of the World.com accessed 15-December-2009
- History of Hofen accessed 15 December 2009
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived 2011-09-04 at the Wayback Machine accessed 15-December-2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hofen.|