Hokkaido 9th district
|Hokkaidō 9th District|
for the Japanese House of Representatives
Numbered map of Hokkaidō Prefecture single-member districts
|Representative||Manabu Horii (2012-)|
|Created from||Hokkaidō's 4th "medium-sized" district|
|Municipalities||Kushiro and Nemuro Subprefectures|
Hokkaidō 9th district is a constituency of the House of Representatives in the Diet of Japan (national legislature). It consists of Hokkaido's Hidaka and Iburi Subprefectures. As of 2009, 414,438 eligible voters were registered in the district.
Hokkaidō 9th district, like neighboring 8th and 10th district, was considered a "Democratic kingdom" (minshu-ōkoku), a stronghold of the Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ). From its creation in 1996 until 2012 it had been represented by DPJ co-founder Yukio Hatoyama. In 2012, Hatoyama retired. The LDP had nominated Hokkaidō prefectural assemblyman and former Olympic speed skater Manabu Horii as their candidate in July 2012.
In the 2000, 2003 and 2005 general elections, the Liberal Democratic Party's candidate was Hirofumi Iwakura, later mayor of Tomakomai, Iburi Subprefecture. In 2000, Iwakura lost the district to Hatoyama by a margin of less than 3,000 votes.
Before the 1994 electoral reform, the area had been part of Hokkaido 4th district where five representatives were elected by single non-transferable vote. Yukio Hatoyama (New Party Sakigake), Tatsuo Takahashi (LDP) and Tomoko Kami (JCP) had already stood as candidates there in 1993.
List of Representatives
|Yukio Hatoyama||DPJ||1996 – 2012||Prime Minister of Japan (2009–10)|
|Manabu Horii||LDP||2012 –||Incumbent|
|Liberal Democratic||Manabu Horii (endorsed by Kōmeitō)||97,805||45.73||9.46|
|Liberal Democratic hold||Swing||10.86|
|Liberal Democratic||Manabu Horii (endorsed by Kōmeitō)||121,145||55.19||+29.13|
|Democratic||Tatsumaru Yamaoka (endorsed by PNP)||61,616||28.07||-38.29|
|Democratic||Yukio Hatoyama (endorsed by PNP)||201,461||66.3||+17.0|
|Liberal Democratic||Satoshi Kawabata (endorsed by Kōmeitō)||79,116||26.1||-16.9|
|Happiness Realization||Eiichi Satomura||2,735||0.9||N/A|
|Liberal Democratic||Hirofumi Iwakura (endorsed by Kōmeitō)||131,130||43.0||+0.9|
|Democratic||Yukio Hatoyama (endorsed by SDP)||141,442||50.0||+4.6|
|Liberal Democratic||Hirofumi Iwakura (endorsed by Kōmeitō)||118,958||42.1||-2.5|
|Liberal Democratic||Hirofumi Iwakura (endorsed by Kōmeitō, NCP)||128,975||44.6||+17.1|
|Liberal Democratic||Tatsuo Takahashi||68,793||27.5|
- Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC): 平成21年9月2日現在における選挙人名簿及び在外選挙人名簿登録者数 (Japanese)
- The Japan Times, July 5, 2012: Hatoyama could face tough re-election bid against Horii
- 小選挙区：北海道 - 開票速報 - 2014総選挙: 朝日新聞デジタル (in Japanese). Asahi Shimbun. Retrieved 2016-01-22.
- 第46回衆議院議員選挙 - 北海道9区. ザ･選挙 (in Japanese). Heartbeats. Retrieved 2012-12-22. External link in
- 第46回総選挙>小選挙区開票速報：北海道. ザ･選挙 (in Japanese). Asahi Shimbun. Retrieved 2012-12-22. External link in
- 衆議院>第45回衆議院議員選挙>北海道>北海道9区. ザ･選挙 (in Japanese). JANJAN. Retrieved 2010-01-07. External link in
- 衆議院>第44回衆議院議員選挙>北海道>北海道9区. ザ･選挙 (in Japanese). JANJAN. Retrieved 2009-12-30. External link in
- 衆議院 >第43回衆議院議員選挙 >北海道>北海道9区. ザ･選挙 (in Japanese). JANJAN. Retrieved 2009-12-30. External link in
- 衆議院>第42回衆議院議員選挙>北海道>北海道9区. ザ･選挙 (in Japanese). JANJAN. Retrieved 2009-12-40. Check date values in:
|access-date=(help); External link in
- 衆議院>第41回衆議院議員選挙 >北海道>北海道9区. ザ･選挙 (in Japanese). JANJAN. Retrieved 2010-01-07. External link in
|House of Representatives of Japan|
Fukuoka 8th district
|Constituency represented by the Prime Minister
Tokyo 18th district