The 1877 Holbeach Bank Board School
|OS grid reference|
|• London||90 mi (140 km) S|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
Holbeach Bank is a fenland village in the South Holland district of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated just under 2 miles (3 km) north from the market town of Holbeach, and 1 mile (2 km) to the east of the A17 road. The village is almost conjoined at the west to the village of Holbeach Clough. Holbeach Bank is part of the Holbeach civil parish and is at the south-east edge of Holbeach Marsh.
In 1835 the Primitive Methodists of Holbeach Bank decided to build a chapel, as an alternative to occupying another vacated chapel. A foundation stone for a new chapel was laid, with 90 members of the congregation each laying a brick on which they placed money; more than £7 was raised, with more than £50 promised to the trustees. PastScape records a Primitive Methodist chapel as being built in 1833. The building, gabled and of three bays, was demolished in 1999, and lay at the junction of Roman Bank and Star Lane.
A board school was built in 1877 with places for 180 children, of whom 130 attended on average. This previous village school is described by Nikolaus Pevsner as "surprisingly large... [with] polychromatic brickwork and an array of lancets." He believes the architect might have been Joseph Sawyer who had built other board schools in the area.
Occupations listed in 1855 included a shopkeeper, cattle dealer, two farmers and a butcher, and in 1872 a bricklayer, a farmer, a beer house proprietor and two saddlers. The farmer and the beer retailer remained in 1885. By 1933 those listed included a farmer, a smallholder, a shopkeeper, a carpenter, two builders, and a beer retailer.
- Rosman, Doreen (2003). The Evolution of the English Churches, 1500–2000, Cambridge University Press, p.191. ISBN 0521645565
- Primitive Methodist Magazine (1864) p.630
- Historic England. "Hanby (1378643)". PastScape. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire with the port of Hull 1885, pp.478, 480
- Pevsner, Nikolaus]]; Harris, John: The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, Penguin (1964); revised by Nicholas Antram (1989), Yale University Press, p.384. ISBN 0300096208
- Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1855, p.120
- Whites History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire, p.748,749
- Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1933, pp.296–298
- The Electrical Journal, Volume 116, Benn Bros Ltd. p.588
- "Holbeach Bank Primary School", EduBase2, Department for Education. Retrieved 3 September 2014
- "Holbeach Bank FC", TheFA.com. Retrieved 3 September 2014