Hold Me in Your Arms (album)
|Hold Me In Your Arms|
|Studio album by Rick Astley|
|Released||26 November 1988|
|Studio||PWL Studios (London, UK)|
|Genre||Pop, dance-pop, disco|
|Producer||Stock Aitken Waterman, Rick Astley, Ian Curnow, Phil Harding, Daize Washbourn|
|Rick Astley chronology|
|Singles from Hold Me in Your Arms|
Hold Me in Your Arms is the second album by the British pop singer Rick Astley, released in November 1988 on RCA Records serving as the follow-up to his debut album Whenever You Need Somebody. Like his previous albums, half the record was written and produced by Stock Aitken & Waterman, and the other half were Astley's own compositions produced by PWL associates Phil Harding, Ian Curnow and Daize Washbourn. The release of the album was delayed a few months due to a fire at PWL Studios destroying some of Astley's recorded material. This would be Astley's last record with Stock, Aitken & Waterman, due to Astley wanting to leave behind the dance-pop sound of the producers, of wanting to shed his boy next door image, and wanting to focus on his original compositions on his albums, reappearing in 1991 with the soul album Free.
The album spawned six singles. Unlike his previous album, where all the singles were Stock, Aitken & Waterman compositions and productions, Astley's compositions were also released as singles. The lead single, "She Wants to Dance With Me", was Astley's first single which he wrote himself, and became a worldwide top 10 hit. In Europe, "Take Me to Your Heart" and "Hold Me in Your Arms" were released as the next singles. "Giving Up on Love" was released as the second single off the album in the USA and Canada, and was later released in some countries of continental Europe as the fourth and last single off the album, and a cover of The Temptations' "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" was released as the third and last single in the USA and Japan.
The album continued Astley's success, with the three UK singles becoming top 10 hits. While the record did not achieve the same level of sales as his debut album, it sold well all around the world, achieving Platinum and Gold certifications worldwide.
A remastered version, containing some remixes, was released in 2010.
All tracks written by Rick Astley, unless otherwise noted.
- "She Wants to Dance with Me" – 3:14
- "Take Me to Your Heart" (Stock Aitken Waterman) – 3:27
- "I Don't Want to Lose Her" (Stock Aitken Waterman) – 3:31
- "Giving Up on Love" – 4:01
- "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" (Holland, Whitfield) – 4:19
- "Till Then (Time Stands Still)" (Stock Aitken Waterman) – 3:14
- "Dial My Number" – 4:09
- "I'll Never Let You Down" – 3:55
- "I Don't Want to Be Your Lover" – 3:58
- "Hold Me in Your Arms" – 4:32
2010 bonus tracks
- "My Arms Keep Missing You" – 3.14
- "I'll Be Fine" – 3:44
- "She Wants to Dance with Me" [Extended Mix] – 7:14
- "Take Me to Your Heart" [Autumn Leaves Mix] – 6:38
- "My Arms Keep Missing You" [The No L Mix] – 6:46
- "Hold Me in Your Arms" [Extended Mix] – 7:37
- "Rick's Hit Mix" [Megamix] 5:49
Adapted from AllMusic.
- Robert Ahwai - guitar
- Matt Aitken - guitar, keyboards, producer
- Rick Astley - drums, keyboards, lead vocals, producer, background vocals
- Gary Barnacle - saxophone
- Jason Barron - assistant
- Paul Cox - photography
- Ian Curnow - Fairlight, keyboards, producer, programming
- Steve Davies - assistant
- Peter Day - assistant
- Stewart Day - assistant
- George DeAngelis - keyboards
- Gordon Dennis - assistant
- Mike Duffy - engineer
- Dave Ford - mixing
- Julian Gingell - assistant
- Peter Hammond - mixing
- Phil Harding - engineer, mixing, producer
- Karen Hewitt - engineer
- Tony King - assistant
- Shirley Lewis - background vocals
- A. Linn - drums
- Roddy Matthews - guitar
- Mainartery - sleeve design
- Chris McDonnell - assistant
- Mark McGuire - engineer
- Mae McKenna - background vocals
- Leroy Osbourne - background vocals
- Mike Stock - keyboards, producer, background vocals
- Philip Todd - saxophone
- Daize Washbourn - drums, keyboards, producer
- Paul Waterman - assistant
- Yo-Yo - Engineer
|Australian Kent Music Report Albums Chart||19|
|Austrian Albums Chart||30|
|Canadian Albums Chart||3|
|Dutch Albums Chart||42|
|French Albums Chart||28|
|German Albums Chart||3|
|New Zealand Albums Chart||28|
|Spanish Albums Chart||5|
|Swedish Albums Chart||7|
|Swiss Albums Chart||11|
|UK Albums Chart||8|
|US Billboard 200||19|
|Canada (Music Canada)||2× Platinum||200,000^|
|Hong Kong (IFPI Hong Kong)||Gold||10,000*|
|Spain (PROMUSICAE)||2× Platinum||200,000^|
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||Gold||25,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||300,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Hold Me in Your Arms: Rick Astley: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 21 February 2012.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Review: Hold Me In Your Arms - Rick Astley". Allmusic. Retrieved 1 August 2009.
- "Hold Me in Your Arms - Rick Astley | Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- Hold Me In Your Arms, in various albums charts Austriancharts.at (Retrieved 30 November 2008)
- "Chart run of albums in France, database" (in French). Infodisc. Archived from the original on 18 February 2010. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- "Chart run of albums in Spain" (in Spanish). Afyve. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- Whenever You Need Somebody, UK Albums Chart  (Retrieved 30 November 2008)
- Whenever You Need Somebody, Billboard 200 Billboard.com (Retrieved 23 July 2010)
- "Canadian album certifications – Rick Astley – Hold Me in Your Arms". Music Canada.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Rick Astley; 'Hold Me in Your Arms')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "IFPIHK Gold Disc Award − 1990". IFPI Hong Kong.
- "Sólo Éxitos 1959-2002 Año A Año: Certificados 1979-1990". Solo Exitos 1959–2002 Ano A Ano. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Rick Astley; 'Hold Me in Your Arms')". IFPI Switzerland. Hung Medien.
- "British album certifications – Rick Astley – Hold Me in Your Arms". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Hold Me in Your Arms in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Platinum in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American album certifications – Rick Astley – Hold Me in Your Arms". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH