Hold On, I'm Comin' (song)
|"Hold On, I'm Comin'"|
|Single by Sam & Dave|
|from the album Hold On, I'm Comin'|
|B-side||"I Got Everything I Need"|
|Songwriter(s)||Isaac Hayes |
|Sam & Dave singles chronology|
"Hold On, I'm Comin'" (officially registered as "Hold On, I'm Coming", and shown on the original single release as "Hold On! I'm Comin'" and "Hold On! I'm a Comin'") is a 1966 single recorded by soul duo Sam & Dave, issued on the Atlantic-distributed Stax label in 1966.
The song was written by the songwriting team of Isaac Hayes and David Porter, who came up with the title of the song spontaneously when Hayes was trying to get Porter to hurry out of the Stax Studios restroom and get back to songwriting. The original title was "Hold On, I'm Comin'", but some radio stations objected to its "suggestive nature", and labels on most copies of the single gave the title as "Hold On! I'm A Comin'". Released as Stax 189 in the spring of 1966, the single peaked at number one on the Billboard Hot R&B singles chart and at number 21 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States.
Following the instrumental introduction, Sam sings the first verse and is joined by Dave for the chorus. Dave sings the second verse and is joined by Sam for the chorus. In the bridge section, Dave sings the first part and Sam sings the second part, which is followed by a brief instrumental passage. Sam sings the third verse and is joined by Dave for the chorus. The introduction is repeated in the chorus, with both Sam and Dave singing until the song fades out.
A revamped version of the song, "Hold On, Edwin's Coming", was recorded by Sam & Dave as a promotional single for Louisiana Governor Edwin Edwards' third election campaign in 1982. Three years later, Dave Prater teamed with new singing partner Sam Daniels as "The New Sam and Dave Review" and recorded "Medley/Hold On, I'm Comin'" for Atlantic Records.
- Vocals by Sam Moore and Dave Prater
- Instrumentation by Booker T. & the M.G.'s and the Mar-Keys Horns
Cover versions and samples
- Maxine Brown and Chuck Jackson recorded a cover in 1967, which reached number 20 on the Billboard R&B chart and number 91 on the Billboard pop chart.
- Tom Jones on the 1968 release The Tom Jones Fever Zone.
- Dating back to 1967, on the album Glory of Love, flutist Herbie Mann covered the track multiple times, with the most recent release being on the soundtrack of 2021's Summer of Soul.
- Canadian singer Karen Silver released a disco version in 1979, which reached number 15 on the Billboard disco chart.
- Aretha Franklin covered the song on her 1981 album Love All the Hurt Away; her version earned her ninth Grammy Award for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance.
- Waylon Jennings covered the song with Jerry Reed on his 1983 album, Waylon and Company.
- A cover version by The Neville Brothers was featured in the 1995 film Money Train and was also used in trailers for the 1996 film First Kid and the 1999 Pixar film Toy Story 2.
- Eric Clapton and B.B. King recorded a blues cover on their album Riding with the King.
- Tina Turner covered the song on her 1999 album, limited edition bonus disc Twenty Four Seven.
- A cover version by Cynthia Erivo was featured in the 2018 film Bad Times at the El Royale, during the end credits.
- Boney M album 1979 Oceans of Fantasy features a guest appearance by Eruption's lead singer Precious Wilson the cover of "Hold On I'm Coming", which was also issued as Wilson's first solo single.
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||200,000|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||1,000,000^|
^ Shipments figures based on certification alone.
- ^ "Hold On, I'm Comin'". Repertoire.bmi.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-13. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- ^ a b "45cat – Sam And Dave – Hold On! I'm A Comin' / I Got Everything I Need – Stax – USA – S-189". 45cat.com. Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- ^ a b Hogan, Ed (2006). "Review of "Hold On! I'm Comin'". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-3-30
- ^ "Hold on I'm Comin' - Karen Silver | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic".
- ^ "Sam Dave Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- ^ "Sam Dave Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- ^ Cash Box Top 100 Singles, June 11, 1966
- ^ Cash Box Year-End Charts: Top 100 Pop Singles, December 24, 1966
- ^ "British single certifications – Sam & Dave – Hold On I'm Comin". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved February 20, 2021.
- ^ "American single certifications – Sam & Dave – Hold On, I'm Coming". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved February 20, 2021.
- "Hold On, I'm Comin'" at Discogs (list of releases)