William Holden Hutton
|The Very Reverend
William Holden Hutton
|Dean of Winchester|
|Born||24 May 1860
|Died||24 October 1930|
William Holden Hutton was born in England on 24 May 1860, in Lincolnshire, where his father was rector of Gate Burton. He studied at Magdalen College, Oxford, where he graduated with a first class degree in modern history in 1881. He was a fellow at St John's College, Oxford, from 1884 to 1923, and an honorary Fellow thereafter; and from 1889 to 1909 was a tutor at the college. In 1903 he delivered the Bampton lectures. Between 1895 and 1897 he also lectured on Church history at Cambridge University. During this period he had a house at Burford and wrote about Burford and the Cotswolds in some of his books.
In 1911, at the prompting of Bishop Carr Glyn of Peterborough, he began serving as Archdeacon of Northampton and a canon residentiary of Peterborough Cathedral. During this period he revisited Oxford as a university reader in Indian history. He found that the climate at Peterborough was not good for his health.
From 1919 he accepted the deanery of Winchester Cathedral, with a house suitable for his large library. His continuing ill-health did not prevent him from being a ready host. He was also a generous helper to the young.
He wrote several historical works, chiefly on the Church in Britain, and was also a copious reviewer.
He died on 24 October 1930.
- "Hutton, William Holden". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/34081. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Frank Baker, 'William Holden Hutton', in F. Baker, I Follow But Myself (1968), p. 8-22
- 'Obituary The Dean Of Winchester', in The Times (1930 October 25), p. 17.
- “Who was Who”1897–1990 London, A & C Black, 1991 ISBN 0-7136-3457-X
- The Times, Wednesday, 20 December 1893; p. 15; Issue 34139; col A University Intelligence. Oxford, 19 Dec..
- "The Clergy List, Clerical Guide and Ecclesiastical Directory" London, Kelly’s, 1913
- Amongst others he wrote:”The Misrule of Henry III”; “The English Church, 1625–1714”; and “The Statutes governing the Cathedral Church of Winchester” British Library web-site accessed 2 March 2009
- Lane-Poole, S. (October 1894). "The Marquess Wellesley, K. G by W. H. Hutton". The English Historical Review. 9 (36): 811–813. JSTOR 547604.
- H. P. (1895). "Lord Wellesley by W. H. Hutton". Revue Historique. 59 (2): 404–408. JSTOR 40939319.
- Works by William Holden Hutton at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about William Holden Hutton at Internet Archive
|Church of England titles|
William Mordaunt Furneaux
|Dean of Winchester
Edward Gordon Selwyn