Holden Park, Oakworth
|Location||Oakworth, West Yorkshire|
|Operated by||City of Bradford, Parks and Landscape Services|
|Status||open all year round|
The park was the former grounds of Sir Isaac Holden's house (Oakworth House) and garden. Oakworth house was a large Italianate villa built from 1864-1874 by architect George Smith at a cost of £80,000 for Sir Isaac Holden. The house replaced a smaller house on the site built by Joseph Sugden. In 1907, ten years after Sir Isaac's death in 1897, the house was partially destroyed in a fire and was demolished.
Holden Park was opened by Francis Illingworth in 1925 and in 1927 was given to the people of Oakworth by the family of Sir Isaac Holden.
The stone portico to the house remains to this day but the glasshouses or winter gardens have been removed and all that remains of the winter gardens are the caves and grotto created by Holden. A bowls or bowling green was constructed on the site of the house.
In April 2004 the Friends of Holden Park group was formed, consisting mostly of local people with the aim of preserving and protecting the remaining features of the park with support from the local community. In 2011 the summerhouse, known locally as the 'bear house' was restored by The Friends of Holden Park with monies from CNet's grassroots fund. In 2012 a new blue plaque to Sir Isaac Holden was unveilled on the portico by Sir Paul Holden (Bart.)—Sir Isaac's great grandson at a fun day to celebrate the Queen's diamond jubilee.
The park contains the local war memorial, a stone portico entrance—the only surviving remnant of Oakworth House; and Holden's summer house, made from a steel framework and hypertufa shaped to look like wooden branches. Past the grottoes and caves there is a large grassed area that used to be the vegetable garden for the house and was later a putting green, and above this are the woods, with many paths originally laid out by Holden.
- "Oakworth House". 100 Objects. 10 October 2012. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "Holden Park, Walk 3" (PDF). Bradford Parks & Landscape Service. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "Holden Park (Oakworth Park)". Bradford Parks & Landscape Service. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- Knights, David (15 April 2011). "Revamped summerhouse in Holden Park, Oakworth set to open". Bradford Telegraph and Argus. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "The Friends of Oakworth (Holden) Park". Oakworth Village Society. Archived from the original on 12 December 2013. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "Plaque unveiled at park fun event". Bradford Telegraph and Argus. 8 July 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- "Oakworth Park War Memorial". Bradford Parks & Landscape Service. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Holden Park.|
- Oakworth Village website (with information about the Friends of Holden Park)