Holiday (Vampire Weekend song)
|Single by Vampire Weekend|
|from the album Contra|
|Released||June 7, 2010|
|Vampire Weekend singles chronology|
"Holiday" is Vampire Weekend's third single from their album Contra. The video premiered on MTV.com on May 27, 2010. The song was featured in Christmas-themed television advertisements for Tommy Hilfiger and Honda during the 2010 holiday season. The single's b-side, "Ottoman", originally appeared on the soundtrack for the 2008 romantic comedy film Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist.
The video was directed by The Malloys, who also did "Giving Up the Gun". It features the band dressed up as 18th century Aristocrats in the present day (presumably), taking a vacation from their jobs and doing very un-monarchical activities including attending at a pool party, driving around California in a '63 Impala and ordering In-N-Out drive-thru, going to the beach, vandalism, assault, among other crazy activities. The video was later featured in VH1's most recent batch of pop up videos.
The concept behind the video was to portray the band as being "fish out of water" in Los Angeles. They used their manager's pool in Hollywood Hills to shoot the pool party scenes. The band did not have a permit to shoot the music video, so all of the driving scenes were shot under technically illegal circumstances, while, ironically, the scenes in which they are assaulting a beach goer and spray painting graffiti were staged and perfectly legal. During shooting, one band member ripped the pants of his rented costume. While filming the dessert scene, the band became ill due to amount of sugar that the members consumed during the shooting and re-shooting of the scene.
- "Holiday" - 2:18
- "Ottoman" - 4:02
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||55|
|UK Singles Chart||183|
|UK Indie Chart||12|
|US Billboard Heatseekers Songs||23|
- 5/27/10. "Holiday | Vampire Weekend | Music Video". MTV. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Vampire Weekend Soundtracks Hilfiger, Honda "Holiday" Ads". Stereogum. 2010-11-29. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- "Video: Vampire Weekend: "Holiday" | News". Pitchfork. 2010-05-27. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- 10/27/11. ""Holiday (Pop Up Video)" by Vampire Weekend | Music Video". VH1.com. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Ultratop.be – Vampire Weekend – Holiday" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- Chart Log UK: New entries update (5.06.2010)
- "Official Independent Singles Chart Top 50". theofficialcharts.com.