Holiday in Havana
|Holiday in Havana|
|Directed by||Jean Yarbrough|
|Produced by||Ted Richmond|
|Written by||Karen DeWolf
Frederic I. Rinaldo
|Story by||Morton Grant|
|Music by||Paul Mertz|
|Cinematography||Vincent J. Farrar|
|Edited by||Henry Batista|
Holiday in Havana is a 1949 American Columbia Pictures musical comedy directed by Jean Yarbrough, and starring Desi Arnaz, Mary Hatcher and Ann Doran. The film is about a Cuban hotel busboy (Arnaz) who dreams of becoming a composer. According to author Mary Beltrán, in his portrayal of Carlos Estrada, Arnaz "established a successful negotiation of tensions inherent in playing a Latin romantic lead in this period, a negotiation that set the stage for what would make Ricky Ricardo so popular with American viewers. His music, with songs such as "Holiday in Havana" and the "Arnaz Jam" featured in the film.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (March 2015)
The story about the difficult role of a Cuban bandleader Carlos Estrada (Desi Arnaz). His romantic vis-a-vis is a peppery dancer named Lolita Valdez (Mary Hatcher). Just before the lovers participate in a gala Havana festival, Carlos has a lot of explaining to do when Lolita catches him in the arms of another.
- Desi Arnaz as Carlos Estrada
- Mary Hatcher as Lolita Valdez (Dolores)
- Ann Doran as Marge Henley
- Steven Geray as Lopez
- Minerva Urecal as Mama Valdez
- Sig Arno as Pepe
- Ray Walker as Sam Keegan
- Nacho Galindo as Police Sergeant
- Pérez, Louis A. (2008). On Becoming Cuban: Identity, Nationality, and Culture. Univ of North Carolina Press. p. 205. ISBN 978-0-8078-5899-8.
- Beltrán, Mary (2009). Latina Stars in U.S. Eyes. University of Illinois Press. p. 51. ISBN 978-0-252-07651-0.
- Holiday in Havana on IMDb
- Holiday in Havana at AllMovie
- Holiday in Havana at the TCM Movie Database
- Holiday in Havana at the American Film Institute Catalog
|This article about a musical comedy film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|