Holistic nursing is a nursing speciality concerned with the integration of a person's mind, body, and spirit with their environment. The speciality has a theoretical basis in a few grand nursing theories, most notably the science of unitary human beings as published by Martha E. Rogers in An Introduction to the Theoretical Basis of Nursing, and the mid-range theory Empowered Holistic Nursing Education as published by Dr. Katie Love. Holisitc nursing has gained recognition by the American Nurses Association (ANA) as a nursing specialty with a defined scope of practice and standards. Holistic nursing focuses on the mind, body, and spirit working together as a whole, and how spiritual awareness in nursing can help heal illness. Holistic medicine focuses on maintaining optimum well being and preventing disease rather than just treating disease.
- "Welcome to AHNA: What is Holistic Nursing?". American Holistic Nurses Assoc. (AHNA). Retrieved 2011-12-05.
- Richter, D. (1998). "Holistic nursing--Do nurses take on too much?". Pflege (in German). 11 (5): 255–62. PMID 9823214.
- Dossey, B.M.; Keegan, L. (2009). Holistic Nursing: A Handbook for Practice (5th ed.). Jones & Bartlett. pp. 534–5. ISBN 9780763770716.
- Mariano, C. (2007). "Holistic nursing as a specialty: Holistic nursing - Scope and standards of practice". Nursing Clinics of North America. 42 (2): 165–88. PMID 17544677. doi:10.1016/j.cnur.2007.03.008.
- Love, K (2014). "A mid-range theory of Empowered Holistic Nursing Education: A pedagogy for a student-centered classroom.". Creative Nursing. 20 (1): 47–58.
- Dossey, Barbara Montgomery; Dossey, Co-Director International Nurse Coach Association (Inca) Co-Director Integrative Nurse Coach Certificate Program (Inccp) International Co-Director Nightingale Initiative for Global Health (Nigh) Director Holistic Nursing Consultants Barbara Montgomery; Keegan, Lynn (2012-03-08). Holistic Nursing. Jones & Bartlett Publishers. ISBN 9781449645649.
- "Spirituality: Cornerstone of holistic nursing practice. : Holistic Nursing Practice". LWW. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- Pelletier, K R (1979-12-01). "Holistic medicine: from pathology to prevention.". Western Journal of Medicine. 131 (6): 481–483. ISSN 0093-0415. PMC . PMID 545865.
|This nursing-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|