Location of Holland within the U.S. city of Minneapolis
|• Total||0.531 sq mi (1.38 km2)|
|• Density||8,500/sq mi (3,300/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP code||55413, 55418|
Location and characteristics
Holland's boundaries are 27th Avenue NE to the north, Central Avenue to the east, 19th and 17th Avenues NE to the south, and University Avenue NE to the west. It is named after Josiah G. Holland, an American educator, novelist and poet.
Much of the neighborhood is smaller residential housing dating from before 1920. During the early 20th century it was a common destination for immigrants from Eastern Europe, some of whom worked at the Shoreham Yards railroad complex north of the neighborhood. Today it is considered part of the Northeast Minneapolis Arts District as it has gradually transformed to include more small businesses, restaurants, art galleries and workspaces.
The neighborhood is home to Edison High School, the nearby Jackson Square Park and the Northeast Branch of the Hennepin County Library. A strip of land on the north side of 27th Avenue NE has been dedicated to community use and is maintained by its owners, Canadian Pacific Railway. Although officially the strip is within the Columbia Park neighborhood, Holland volunteers are largely responsible for its development, including a playground and neighborhood garden.
Holland is bisected by two active lines of Burlington Northern Railway which converge within the neighborhood, one connecting to downtown Minneapolis, the other to Saint Paul via the rail yards north of the University of Minnesota. Both are fully grade-separated, making railroad bridges a significant feature of the neighborhood.
Holland's east boundary is Central Avenue, one of the main commercial districts of the neighborhood and the larger Northeast community. It includes the Northeast Library branch of the Hennepin County Library. Other businesses lie along Lowry and University Avenues.
Holland is served by Metro Transit bus routes 10 (Central Avenue), 17 (Washington Street) and 32 (Lowry Avenue). 22nd Avenue NE is a bicycle boulevard and Central Avenue has dedicated bike lanes.
- "Holland neighborhood in Minneapolis, Minnesota (MN), 55418 detailed profile". City-Data. 2011. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- "Minneapolis Neighborhood Profile: Holland". Minnesota Compass. October 2011. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- Holland, Minneapolis, MN. Google Earth. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "Holland". City of Minneapolis.
- "Holland". LiveMSP.
- "Small Area Plan". Holland Neighborhood Improvement Association.
- "Train Park Clean-Up/Lily Vaughn Day". Holland Neighborhood Improvement Association.
- "Interactive Transit Map". Metro Transit.
- "Minneapolis Bike Map". City of Minneapolis.