Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital
|Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital|
|Location||150 Kilgour Road|
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Affiliated university||University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine|
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital is Canada's largest children's rehabilitation hospital. It is located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It was founded in 1899, by a group of community-minded women who met in Toronto to discuss the creation of a "Home for Incurable Children".
As of 2005, the Centre provides hospital care, outpatient clinics, an integrated kindergarten school programme, assistive technology services and community outreach activities to about 7,000 children and youth with disabilities and their families each year. The most common conditions are cerebral palsy, acquired brain injury, muscular dystrophy, amputation, epilepsy, spina bifida, and cleft lip and palate, and a range of developmental disabilities including autism.
Prior to 2006, the centre was called the Bloorview MacMillan Children's Centre. From 1957 to the mid-1980s, it was known as the Ontario Crippled Children's Centre (OCCC). Bloorview part of the hospital's name came from their former home at 192 Bloor Street East, also known as Bloorview. The MacMillan part came from Dr. Hugh MacMillan, a pathologist who became the former assistant administrator and hospitalist at the hospital after he fell ill with polio. His name was added to the hospital in 1985.
Bloorview Kids Foundation is the largest foundation supporting childhood disability in Canada. The Foundation was established in 1996 to inspire community interest and raise funds in support of children and youth with disabilities at Bloorview Kids Rehab.
The site of the old Bloorview Hospital on Sheppard Avenue East in North York was sold to developers, though Bloorview retains a nursery centre in Forest Hill.
- http://www.bloorview.ca/about/history/fullhistory.php Archived November 3, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
-  Archived September 7, 2013, at the Wayback Machine
- "Home - Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital Foundation". Archived from the original on 2012-04-04. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "Scientists - Bloorview Research Institute". research.hollandbloorview.ca. Retrieved 2019-02-11.
- Official website
- History at hollandbloorview.ca
- Concussion Centre
- Tomorrow Begins Today, 1951, Archives of Ontario YouTube Channel