|Alma mater||Pace University (BA)|
Hollie McKay is an Australian-American journalist for Fox News. She is a national bureau correspondent covering national and international news from Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Russia, Turkey, Syria, Pakistan, Yemen and Myanmar.
Early life and education
In 2000, she published a novel entitled Sworn to Secrecy. McKay studied Communications at the University of Technology Sydney before moving to New York City in 2006 to complete her final semester at Pace University.
After moving to New York, McKay began working as an intern at Fox News. She later moved to Los Angeles. She reported on entertainment news with an online column and a series of television segments. From 2007 to 2013, McKay wrote an entertainment column called "Pop Tarts" for the Fox News website, and appeared on Fox News television broadcasts in a series of segments called "Hollie on Hollywood".
Since 2014, McKay has served as an investigative reporter and foreign correspondent for the Fox national bureau. She has reported extensively from the battlefields in Iraq, including embedded service with US and Australian forces. During her investigative reporting in Iraq from 2014-2020, McKay uncovered mass sex-slavery perpetrated by ISIS, particularly against Yazidis. McKay documented dozens of witness and first hand survivor accounts to be used in later tribunals and court cases in Iraq.
In 2017, McKay returned to New York City, where she became a member of Fox Digital Studio's "original news" staff. Also in 2017, McKay reported extensively from Kabul, Afghanistan, the Panjshir Valley, and other areas of the country. In her reporting, she interviewed a wide range of Afghan government officials, members of the Afghan National Security Forces, and others, including Afghanistan's Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah, former President Hamid Karzai, former Vice President Ahmad Zia Massoud, and Vice President Abdul Rashid Dostum (Dostum was interviewed by McKay while he was in temporary exile in Turkey). In Afghanistan, McKay investigated and reported on numerous subjects including the status of women and Women's rights in Afghanistan, Taliban attacks on Afghan forces, and how terrorists enter Afghanistan.
McKay maintains a permanent press pass to the United Nations. She met with Pakistani Ambassador Khalid Mahmood on March 19, 2018 discussion counter-terrorism in Afghanistan and Pakistan. She has reported on issues related to the Kashmir conflict.
McKay was a human rights and cultural consultant advisor to Infinity Ward for the creation of the video game Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. In that role, McKay crafted story ideas and features for their behind-the-scenes global promotional materials. McKay was featured in the 2019 documentary about the game's authentic recreation of actual battle conditions.
McKay serves on the Honorary and Advisory Board of the humanitarian NGO Emergency (organization), which provides healthcare to victims of war, poverty and landmines, and builds and operates high-quality hospitals in Afghanistan, Eritrea, Iraq, Italy, Sierra Leone, Sudan and Uganda.
- "Writer pens own success story". Daily Mercury. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- Arnold, Johh and Hay, John (2001). Bibliography of Australian Literature, Volume 3. University of Queensland Press. p. 376. ISBN 9780702235986.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- ""Hollie's first novel"". Muswellbrook Chronicle. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- Habib, Rasell (12 July 2011). "Hooray for Holliewood" (PDF). Inner West Courier. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- Domjen, Briana (3 July 2011). "Hollie's big gig in the Big Apple" (PDF). Sunday Telegraph. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- Wilstein, Matt. "CNN Contradicts Fox Sources Claiming Darren Wilson Had Fractured Eye Socket, 21 August 2014". Mediaite. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- Frulinger, Josh. "Fox News Suddenly Loves Hollywood Elitists After Clint Eastwood Yelled At A Chair". Wonkette. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- Nguyen, Tina. "FEUD: Bourdain Blasts Fox After They Complain About His Cursing, 2013". Mediaite. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- Williamson, Jamie. "Just Back from the Battlefield, Hollie McKay Reveals the Evil Among Us" (Podcast). America Out Loud Network. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- McKay, Hollie. "Escape from ISIS: Yazidi woman recounts life as a sex slave". Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- McKay, Hollie. "Yazidis seek rescue of women and children enslaved, married off to ISIS". Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- McKay, Hollie. "Afghanistan women's pleas to US: 'Do not forget we are here'". Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- McKay, Hollie. "Inside deadliest Taliban attack against Afghan troops". Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- McKay, Hollie. "How terrorists freely enter Afghanistan and move around unhindered". Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- Khan, Amina. "Report – In-House Meeting: Meeting with Ms Hollie McKay, Journalist, FOX News" (PDF). Institute_of_Strategic_Studies_Islamabad. Institute of StrateGic Studies, Islamabad. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- "Ultimate goal is to liberate Kashmir from India". website. Kashmir News Service. Retrieved 22 March 2018.
- Cizmar, Martin. "D'People are really excited': Fox News reporter claims Syrians 'want more' and US would be greeted as liberators". The_Raw_Story. Raw Story. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- Community, Garett. "Reporters Risking Death, and Other Afghan News". Daily_Kos. Daily Kos. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- Mattone, James. "Announcement: The Story of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - Official Behind the Scenes Feature". Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- Snider, Mark. "'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare' ramps up realism, so it's not just all fun and video games". Retrieved 24 October 2019.
- "Emergency NGO: Meet the Team".