Hollingdean is in effect the older part of Hollingbury. It is bounded by Ditchling Road to the west, the Round Hill area to the south, and Lewes Road and Moulsecoomb to the east. It is a mainly residential area, with many council houses to the east, with late 19th and early 20th-century terraced houses towards Fiveways, and some railway land, light industry, and warehousing.
The area known as 'The Dip' is the busiest area with a Post Office, corner shop, café, pharmacy, beauty salon, funeral director's and barber shop as well as some takeaways. There is also a bus stop serving the Number 50 route to Churchill Square and the University of Sussex. The local newsletter is called the Hollingdean News and is delivered by volunteers.
There is a public park on Lynchet Close. There is a Sure Start Children's Centre on Lynchet Close, with a cafe and public toilets and nursery. The schools in Hollingdean are Hertford Infants, Hertford Juniors, Cedar Centre Special School, and Pupil Referral Centre.
- "Brighton and Hove Ward population 2011". Retrieved 12 October 2015.
-  BBC story about waste disposal
-  Polly Toynbee on Sure Start in Hollingdean
-  Brighton and Hove Crime Reduction Partnership on Hollingdean Neighbourhood
-  Local newsletter - Hollingdean News
- Timothy Carder (1990). The Encyclopedia of Brighton. East Sussex County Libraries. ISBN 0-86147-315-9