Hollister Municipal Airport
|Hollister Municipal Airport|
|Owner||City of Hollister|
|Elevation AMSL||230 ft / 70 m|
Hollister Municipal Airport (IATA: HLI, ICAO: KCVH, FAA LID: CVH, formerly 3O7) is a city-owned public-use airport located three nautical miles (6 km) north of the central business district of Hollister, a city in San Benito County, California, United States.
Facilities and operations
Hollister Municipal Airport covers an area of 343 acres (139 ha) which contains two asphalt paved runways: 6/24 measuring 3,150 x 100 ft (960 x 30 m), and 13/31 measuring 6,350 x 100 ft (1,935 x 30 m).
For the 12-month period ending January 23, 2007, the airport had 73,000 aircraft operations, an average of 200 per day: 98% general aviation and 2% military. There are 205 aircraft based at this airport: 56% single engine, 8% multi-engine, 4% helicopters, 10% ultralight and 22% gliders.
Hollister Airport is a regional center for glider activity. Gliders moved to Hollister after the Hummingbird Haven gliderport in Livermore and the Sky Sailing gliderport in Fremont were both closed in 1989. Glider rides, lessons and a non-profit club are located at the airport.
- FAA Airport Master Record for CVH ( PDF), effective 2007-07-05
- "Hollister Municipal Airport". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- Great Circle Mapper: HLI / KCVH - Hollister, California (Hollister Municipal Airport)
- "Sky Sailing Airport (historical)". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- Freeman, Paul (2008-05-10). "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields: California - San Jose area". Retrieved 2008-10-23.
- Newlin, John (2001). "Air Traffic Control: Take to the Hollister skies in an engineless glider and you may never want to fly in a jet again". Wave Magazine (Silicon Valley entertainment). Archived from the original on 2006-11-12. Retrieved 2008-10-23.
- Weaver, Melissa (2008-06-29). "Bay Area glider makes record-breaking flight to Mexico". Santa Cruz Sentinel. Retrieved 2008-10-23.