Holly Pond, Alabama
|Holly Pond, Alabama|
Location in Cullman County and the state of Alabama
|• Total||4.46 sq mi (11.54 km2)|
|• Land||4.44 sq mi (11.49 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.05 km2)|
|Elevation||866 ft (264 m)|
|• Density||180/sq mi (69.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0155103|
Holly Pond is located in eastern Cullman County at (34.174657, -86.617004).
The elevation at the center of town is approximately 870 feet (270 m) above sea level.
Holly Pond has a number of businesses that operate out of the small town. The regional petroleum and gas corporation Jet-Pep was started and is now headquartered in Holly Pond. Jet-Pep has gas stations statewide.
Holly Pond Middle School is the town's middle school for grades 6-8. It was established in 2008 by the Cullman County Board of Education. The current principal is Chuck Gambrill.
Holly Pond Elementary School is the town's elementary school for grades K-5. The current principal is Karen Sparks.
All schools are part of the Cullman County Board of Education. They all share one campus in central Holly Pond.
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 645 people, 250 households, and 182 families residing in the town. The population density was 187.3 people per square mile (72.4/km²). There were 280 housing units at an average density of 81.3 per square mile (31.4/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 97.67% White, 0.47% Native American, 0.16% Asian, 1.40% from other races, and 0.31% from two or more races. 3.41% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 250 households out of which 36.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.2% were married couples living together, 9.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.8% were non-families. 22.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 3.06.
In the town the population was spread out with 27.0% under the age of 18, 11.5% from 18 to 24, 31.5% from 25 to 44, 20.2% from 45 to 64, and 9.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females there were 104.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.1 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $28,182, and the median income for a family was $31,875. Males had a median income of $27,708 versus $19,432 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,466. About 12.2% of families and 19.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.9% of those under age 18 and 29.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Guy Hunt, former Governor of Alabama and Primitive Baptist pastor
- Jason Simpson, chief meteorologist at WHNT in Huntsville
- Saundra Benefield Raynak, President & Principal Broker at Furnished with Finesse,LLC in Nashville
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Holly Pond town, Alabama". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved June 6, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2013". Retrieved June 3, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.