Hollywood and Majors Green ward
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Hereford and Worcester|
Hollywood is a large village in the Bromsgrove district of Worcestershire, England, almost contiguous with and to the south of the city of Birmingham. The village lies across the wards of Hollywood & Majors Green and Drakes Cross & Walkers Heath and is located within the civil parish of Wythall. The southern part of the village is also known as Drakes Cross whilst the eastern part is sometimes referred to as Trueman's Heath. Hollywood is situated in the extreme northeastern corner of Worcestershire, 8.5 miles / 13 km south of Birmingham city centre, 6 miles / 9.5 km west-southwest of Solihull and 9 miles / 14.5 km northeast of Redditch.
Until the 1950s, Hollywood was a rural area with many fields and farms. Extensive postwar development saw these fields and farms give way to housing estates, shops and schools.
Hollywood is served by the Alcester Road (although the A435 road itself which formerly ran through the village now bypasses it), and is adjacent to Highter's Heath to the north and Wythall to the south. Other settlements close by include Kings Heath, Kings Norton, Shirley and Dickens Heath.
Hollywood is home to the 18-hole Hollywood Golf Club, formerly known as Gay Hill Golf Club since 1913, and a family owned and managed packaging company, Kilby Packaging, which has existed since 1946. Most of the village's community buildings are centred around Woodrush High School and the adjacent Coppice Primary School on Shawhurst Lane. These include the Woodrush Sports Centre, Community Hub and Wythall (parish) Library, whilst St Mary's CoE Church, originally located on Chapel Lane in Wythall, now occupies a new building adjoining the Coppice School. Hollywood Primary School is located just over the county border within the Highter's Heath area of the city of Birmingham
- John Taylor from the band Duran Duran.
- Alan Smith former Arsenal striker.
- Parry Glasspool, Hollyoaks actor.
- Steve Ashley, former motor racing champion.(Class 4 Kart, formula ford, F3)
- Alan Dedicoat former presenter at BBC Radio WM and now voice of the Balls on The National Lottery.
- "Key Figures for 2001 Census: Key Statistics". Retrieved 28 July 2009.
- "Office for National Statistics ward maps: Hollywood". Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Worcestershire County Council Ward Profile" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 5 June 2011. Retrieved 21 March 2010.
- "Office for National Statistics ward maps: Drakes Cross". Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Worcestershire County Council Historic Parish Maps: Wythall". Archived from the original (JPG) on 6 September 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- http://www.gayhillgolfclub.co.uk/ Accessed 25 November 2017
- teeofftimes Accessed 25 November 2017
- https://www.facebook.com/pg/hollywood.golf.club/about/?ref=page_internal Accessed 25 November 2017
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hollywood, Worcestershire.|
|This Worcestershire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|