|Directed by||Dinesh Baboo|
|Edited by||B. S. Kemparaj|
Hollywood is a 2002 Indian Kannada science fiction film written by Upendra and directed by Dinesh Babu. It stars Upendra in a triple role as Surendra, Upendra and US 47 (a robot) along with the Australian actress Felicity Mason as Manisha and Anant Nag. The film was shot entirely in Gold Coast, Australia with few supporting actors and a monkey named Lakshmi, voiced by Ramesh Bhat. The film was also dubbed into Telugu in 2003, retaining the same title.
Upendra became the first Indian actor to portray the role of an android robot in a lead role. The same story of this film that a scientist who creates an android resembling himself to help him win over a girl. But, the android falls in love with the girl and tries to eliminate his creator. The film failed to perform commercially at the box office.
This article needs a plot summary. (December 2021)
- Upendra as US 47 the Android Robot, Surendra the Roboticist, & Upendra the Director who is Surendra's twin brother.
- Felicity as Manisha, M- 47
- Ananth Nag as Prof. A. D. Dass, maverick scientist
- A monkey named Melukote Seenu, voiced by Ramesh Bhat
|1.||"Choo Bide Choo Bide"||Upendra||Udit Narayan||4:21|
|2.||"Sakkathagide Hollywood"||Upendra||Sukhwinder Singh, Gurukiran, Allwyn||4:20|
|3.||"Aamantharisi Nanna"||V. Nagendra Prasad||Anupama||5:07|
|4.||"Prema Prema"||Upendra||Udit Narayan||6:03|
|5.||"Aeeeyy Aeeyyii"||Upendra||Sunidhi Chauhan, Gurukiran||3:41|
|6.||"Benkiyalli Haaku"||Upendra||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam||4:52|
Deccan Herald wrote "You may call it a fantasy or just a hilarious movie. In just one sentence Hollywood is a pure entertainment movie where glitz and glamour are the main ingredients". India Info wrote "The film HOLLYWOOD, is one of the high budgeted films, that Sandalwood has ever seen. Apart from this it has brilliant performances from Upendra and Ananthnag. Not to forget the monkey. Exotic locales. And the list goes on … Yet the movie has fails to make a mark".
Reviewing Telugu dubbed version, The Hindu wrote "The story never matches the technical aspect of the film. The entire drama looks like circus farce. And the subject hinges to the single point of Surendra always doubting Manisha's relations with his brother Upendra. Upendra as Upendra is the best part of the drama, while the rest of the characters look silly. Anant Nag plays a pitiable character of the scientist. Music is uninspiring". Idlebrain wrote "'Hollywood' is a boring film with unimpressive script. You can safely avoid it, even when you get a chance to watch it for free on your idiot box". Full Hyderabad wrote "The movie is essentially for three kinds of audiences: fans of Upendra, fans of the monkey and fans of filmi experiments. Technically, it all boils down to the same but you can watch Hollywood if you belong to any of these categories".
Hollywood did not have a good opening at the box office across Karnataka and set the box office on average during its initial weeks, but the film received just mixed response among the audience. The film collected ₹380 million (US$4.8 million) at the box office after completing a 75-day run.
- "Where is Malashree?". indiainfo.com. Archived from the original on 5 February 2003. Retrieved 25 September 2023.
- "Telugu Cinema - Review - Hollywood - Upendra - Dinesh Babu - Guru Kiran". www.idlebrain.com. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- "Farcical drama". The Hindu. 6 January 2003. Archived from the original on 2 October 2023.
- Hollywood Movie review - Full Hyderabad
- "Hollywood". Deccan Herald. 8 December 2002. Archived from the original on 11 October 2003. Retrieved 2 October 2023.
- "Indiainfo: Kannada: HOLLYWOOD - Review". Archived from the original on 21 April 2003. Retrieved 20 October 2023.
- "Is Endhiran inspired by Uppi's Hollywood?". Indiaeveryday.in. 28 September 2010. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- "High BUDGET MOVIES in Kannada Sandalwood – ALL TIM E | eJaga.com - Entertainment World. Celebrity Movies gossip juicy rumors". eJaga.com. 3 December 2011. Retrieved 2 August 2012.