Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course
|Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course|
|Location||Grantville, Pennsylvania, USA|
|Address||777 Hollywood Boulevard|
|Opening date||Racetrack: August 30, 1972|
Casino: February 12, 2008
|Owner||Gaming and Leisure Properties|
|Operating license holder||Penn National Gaming|
|Owned by||Penn National Gaming|
|Date opened||August 30, 1972|
|Course type||Harness Racing|
|Notable races||Cane Pace|
Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course is a thoroughbred horse racing track and casino in Grantville, Pennsylvania, 17 miles (27 km) east of Harrisburg. It is owned by Gaming and Leisure Properties and operated by Penn National Gaming.
The track opened on August 30, 1972. It consists of a 1 mile (1.6 km) dirt course and a 7-furlong turf course. It is unusual among United States thoroughbred tracks in offering racing 52 weeks a year. It features the $200,000 Pennsylvania Governor's Cup Handicap for horses three-years-old and up run 5 furlongs on the turf. In 2009 Cardashi, ridden by jockey David Cora, won in a 29–1 upset.
In 2013 the inaugural Penn Mile on turf was run. Its first winner was 3-year-old Rydilluc in a time of 1:33.99. The race is now the only Graded stakes race event at the track classified as a Grade II with stakes of $500,000 in 2017.
This racetrack has been under ongoing investigations through the years by the FBI for race fixing, which included people working in the race office, trainers and vets.
As at 2018:
- Lyphard Stakes (PA Bred)
- Danzig Stakes (PA Bred)
- New Start Stakes (PA Bred)
- Penn Mile (G2)
- Penn Oaks
- Penn Ladies Dash
- Pennsylvania Governor's Cup
- Robellino Stakes (PA Bred)
- Fabulous Strike Stakes
- Swatara Stakes
- Blue Mountain Stakes (PA Bred)
Hollywood Casino opened at Penn National on February 12, 2008. On July 13, 2010, table games began operation. As of July 2010, Hollywood Casino has over 2,480 slot machines and 54 tables. Table games include:14 Poker tables, Black Jack, Roulette, Craps, Pai-Gow Poker, Three and Four Card Poker, Mini-Baccarat, and Let-It-Ride. Penn National Gaming operates other casinos under the Hollywood Casino brand.
The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board approved a sports betting license for Hollywood Casino on October 3, 2018. On November 15, 2018, sports betting began at Hollywood Casino with a two-day test; official sports betting began on November 17, 2018. Hollywood Casino became the first casino in Pennsylvania to offer sports betting.
On July 15, 2019, Hollywood Casino conducted a soft launch for online gambling, with the full launch occurring on July 18, 2019 after a testing period. Online gambling offered by Hollywood Casino consists of slot machines and table games, with online poker to launch at a later date.
- "Penn Mile Stakes (Gr. 2)". Equibase. 2017. Retrieved May 1, 2018.
- Woodall, Candy; Miller, Matt. "Penn National Race Course works to restore reputation as 10th arrest in 2 years heads to trial". Penn Live. Retrieved May 1, 2018.
- Penn National 2018 Stakes Schedule
- Maykuth, Andrew (October 3, 2018). "Pa. approves first sports-betting licenses for Parx, Hollywood casinos". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- Pickel, Greg (November 20, 2018). "Sports betting at Penn National: How to bet, when to go, special Thanksgiving hours, and more". Penn Live. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Staff (November 21, 2018). "Sports betting goes live in Pennsylvania". Allentown, PA: WFMZ-TV. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Maykuth, Andrew (July 15, 2019). "Parx, SugarHouse, Hollywood casinos set to launch online gambling this week". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- "Online gambling now available around the clock in Pennsylvania". USA Today. Associated Press. July 18, 2019. Retrieved July 18, 2019.
|This article about a horse racing venue is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|