Holman State Wayside
|Holman State Wayside|
|Location||Polk County, Oregon|
|Area||10 acres (4 ha)|
|Operated by||Oregon Parks and Recreation Department|
Holman State Wayside is a state park in Polk County, Oregon, United States, on Oregon Route 22 at the foot of the Eola Hills near the community of Eola. The wayside is administered by the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department but was closed to vehicular traffic in 2007 because of ongoing problems with criminal activity.
The site was purchased by the State of Oregon in 1922. The land was originally owned by Thomas and Cora Holman, who had long allowed the public to water their stock and drink at a natural spring on the property, a purpose it had served since pioneer times.
Bicycle and pedestrian traffic is still permitted in the park, although the restrooms are closed and as of 2007, they are planned to be demolished. In 2007, the Parks and Recreation Department said the closure of the wayside was temporary while solutions to the park's problems were discussed. A public hearing regarding the future of the wayside was held in September 2007.
As of June 2017, the park is still closed, and the rest rooms have been removed.
- "Holman State Park". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved July 1, 2011.
- Barry, Dan (November 18, 2007). "A Park That Ran With the Wrong Crowd". The New York Times. Retrieved March 18, 2009.
- Bannan, Jan Gumprecht (2002). Oregon State Parks: A Complete Recreation Guide. The Mountaineers. p. 133. ISBN 0-89886-794-0.
- "Vehicles banned from Oregon park with history of drug, public sex activity". The Seattle Times. November 8, 2007. Retrieved March 17, 2009.
- "Holman Wayside will close Thursday, July 26 " (Press release). Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. July 24, 2007. Retrieved March 17, 2009.
- "Holman Wayside's future subject of public meeting September 25 " (Press release). Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. September 10, 2007. Retrieved March 17, 2009.
- "Holman State Wayside". Oregon Tourism Commission. Retrieved July 1, 2011.
- "Holman State Wayside". Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. Archived from the original on January 17, 2008. Retrieved July 1, 2011.
- "1947 History of Holman State Park" (PDF). Oregon State Archives. Retrieved February 18, 2012.
- "Historic images of Holman Wayside". Salem Public Library. Retrieved July 1, 2011.
|This Polk County, Oregon state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|