Holmes Educational State Forest
|Holmes Educational State Forest|
|North Carolina State Forest|
|Named for: Dr. John S. Holmes |
|Area||235 acres (95.1 ha) |
|Management||North Carolina Forest Service|
|IUCN category||VI - Managed Resource Protected Area|
|Nearest city||Hendersonville, North Carolina|
|Website: DuPont State Recreational Forest|
Holmes Educational State Forest (HESF) is a 235-acre (0.95 km2) state forest, located in Henderson County, North Carolina. It is near the much larger DuPont State Recreational Forest, which is responsible for its management. The forest is in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and it has rugged terrain with a mixture of hardwood forest, rhododendron, and flame azalea.
The forest's primary purpose is education and promotion of forest resources. Forest rangers regularly conduct outdoor classes for schools and other groups from spring to fall. The forest also has self-guided interpretive trails, which teach visitors about forestry through the use of trail-side exhibits, displays and audio boxes. In addition, the forest offers a small network of hiking trails, a picnic area with a shelter and a group campground.
The state originally purchased the forest in 1938 to establish a tree nursery, which was subsequently constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps. The state received a federal grant in 1972 to convert the nursery into an educational state forest. The forest was opened in May 1977, during its dedication to North Carolina's first state forester, Dr. John S. Holmes.
- Alexia Jones Helsley; George Alexander Jones (2007). A Guide to Historic Henderson County, North Carolina. The History Press. pp. 103 & 142. ISBN 978-1-59629-275-8.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Holmes State Forest Nursery
- "NC Forest Service Natural Assets" (PDF). North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services. January 23, 2014. p. 17. Retrieved September 24, 2015.
- "DuPont State Recreational Forest Fiscal Year 2014 Legislative Report" (PDF). North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services. October 1, 2014. p. 8. Retrieved September 24, 2015.
- Official website
- Holmes Educational State Forest on Henderson County Tourism Development Authority's website.
|This article about a location in Henderson County, North Carolina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|