Holt, Australian Capital Territory
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
|Population||4,619 (2016 census)|
|• Density||1,400/km2 (3,630/sq mi)|
|Area||3.3 km2 (1.3 sq mi)|
Holt (// or //) (postcode: 2615) is a suburb in the Belconnen district of Canberra, located within the Australian Capital Territory, Australia. It was gazetted on 2 July 1970 and was named after Harold Holt, Prime Minister of Australia 1966–67. Streets are named after sportsmen and sportswomen.
Holt is bounded by Southern Cross Drive, Starke Street, MacNaughton Street, Drake Brockman Drive and the edge of the Belconnen Magpies golf course. It also borders on open farm and bushland, and is a short distance away from the Molongolo river. Ginninderra Falls Tourist Park and Parkwood, a very small light industrial area, are also nearby. It adjoins the suburbs of Higgins, Latham, Macgregor and Strathnairn. The suburb contains Kippax Centre, a group centre serving the surrounding area, including the Kippax Fair shopping centre.
Holt has multiple local shops, a neighbourhood oval, sporting fields, and Kingsford Smith School on the site of the former Ginninderra High School. This school was built to accommodate over 1000 students from preschool to year ten following the closure of the former Holt primary school (now housing community organisations) and the nearby Higgins primary school. Kingsford Smith School opened in 2009 for students from preschool to year 7, with the first year 10 group graduating in 2012.
Also within Holt is the Cranleigh school, which caters for preschool and primary children with special needs. It commemorates the Cranleigh Farm of Lieutenant General James Gordon Legge that occupied the nearby area from the mid-1920s to late 1940s with the main house at the corner of Southern Cross Drive and Kingsford Smith Drive.
There are four churches located in Holt. St. John the Apostle Catholic Church is on Blackham Street. St. James' Anglican Church is on Beaurepaire Street. Kippax Uniting Church is on Hardwick Crescent and Luke Street. St. Therese of the Child Jesus Local Society of Saint Pius X Mission is located in Beaurepaire Crescent.
Silurian age Deakin Volcanics are in the north east with the following kinds of rock:
- Purple pink rhyolite is found in the north east.
- In the east is purple and green tuff.
- Purple rhyodacite is in the north
- Silurian Walker Volcanics purple and grey-green rhyodacite is in the west and south of Holt.
Under the Belconnen golf course is green and cream rhyolite of the Walker Volcanics. West of the golf course is a large sedimentary exposure of limestone and shale. A coarse green grey porphyry intrusive can be found 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) to the west of Holt.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Holt (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Suburb Name search results". ACT Environment and Sustainable Development. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "Profile of the electoral division of Fenner (ACT)". Current federal electoral divisions. Australian Electoral Commission. 8 February 2016. Retrieved 29 May 2016.
- "Electorates 2012 election". Electorates. ACT Electoral Commission. 5 July 2012. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- Henderson G A M and Matveev G, Geology of Canberra, Queanbeyan and Environs 1:50000 1980.