Holy Cross of San Antonio
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Holy Cross of San Antonio|
|426 North San Felipe Avenue
San Antonio, Texas, (Bexar County) 78228
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic,
Congregation of Holy Cross
|President||Bro. Stanley Culotta|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Fight song||"Holy Cross Victory March"|
|Athletics conference||Texas Association of Private and Parochial SchoolsClass 4A|
|Accreditation||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Academic Dean||Richard Vasquez|
|Dean of Men||Angel Cedillo|
|Dean of Women||Molly Calderon|
|Athletic Director||Mike Harrison|
Holy Cross of San Antonio, is a Catholic, Coeducational, college preparatory middle and high school located on the west side of the city of San Antonio, Texas, in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of San Antonio.
Holy Cross was opened in 1957 by the Brothers of Holy Cross as the only Catholic, college preparatory, school primarily serving students of the West and South Sides of the city. Today, Holy Cross serves students from all over the city and remains one of four Catholic, Coeducational, College preparatory school serving students through the 12th grade.
The Brothers of Holy Cross provide an educational mission tried and proven for more than 175 years. In the tradition of our founder, Blessed Father Basil Anthony-Marie Moreau, CSC, the Brothers understand the importance of providing educational opportunities to students of all abilities in order to develop their spiritual, intellectual, social, and physical capacities.
The Holy Bowl
Holy Cross has won "The Holy Bowl" eleven times. The first game was played in November 1963 at the old Missions Stadium on a Sunday. Holy Cross lost that first meeting. The only years that these two teams didn't play were 1974 & 1975 (due to reclassifying the division) and 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 (Due to the intensity of the rivalry).
"The Holy Bowl" has been held in almost every stadium in the city. Including the Alamodome (2002-2004).
In 2012, The game marked the first time in the history of the series that Holy Cross and Central Catholic have met in their season opener. The schedule changed when Holy Cross moved from Division I to Division II in the realignment by the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools.
Starting in 2014 "The Holy Bowl" will begin its third hiatus due to scheduling conflicts.
Twice in (2000 & 2011), Holy Cross wore special green jerseys for "The Holy Bowl". In both occasions, Holy Cross would come out for their pre-game warm up and coin toss wearing their home blue jerseys, but come game time onto the field from the locker room wearing green. Similar to Notre Dame in 1977 when they famously squared off against the University of Southern California at Notre Dame Stadium. Holy Cross is 1-1 when wearing green jerseys.
Holy Cross "Knights", named for the English term for a social position. The Fighting Irish ("The Irish") is the mascot of The University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana also a Congregation of Holy Cross Institution.
- The Holy Cross Annual Alumni Softball Tournament happens each year on Memorial Day weekend. The former students whose ages range from 20 years to the upper 60’s sport uniforms that identify them as alumni, their years of graduation from Holy Cross and their version of how to display their school colors, blue, gold and green.
The weekend begins an event that is more than a softball tournament. Friendships are renewed not just with classmates but with alums from all the classes. The camaraderie at this tournament is known beyond the attendees. It is an event known to and admired by friends and associates of Holy Cross. And on Sunday night, after the championship game, alumni from all classes gather to sing the Holy Cross Victory March.
- In addition to the Softball tournament, The Alumni Basketball Tournament is held every year at the end of June in honor of Daniel Gutierrez a graduate of Holy Cross who lost his long battle with Cancer in 2006. Proceeds from this event go to a Scholarship in his name.
- The Alumni Soccer Tournament is the most recent extension to the many Holy Cross traditions. Much like the Alumni Basketball Tournament revenue from this event is used for a Scholarship given to current deserving student Soccer players.
- Holy Cross is a historically All-Boys institution therefore The Alumni Softball Tournament, The Alumni Basketball Tournament and The Alumni Soccer Tournament are largely competed in by male graduates.
- The night before "The Holy Bowl", Holy Cross holds the tailgate party and pep-rally to build community and support for the school, program, team and alumni, which establishes a strong core of support for the game.
- During Holy Cross Football and Basketball games, the students from Holy Cross sit in an energetic student section called "Section Ñ". they are known for being one of the most visible and vocal sections of the crowd as well as for their occasionally raucous behavior.
|This section does not cite any sources. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Stan Kelly, the public address announcer for the San Antonio Spurs of the National Basketball Association.
- Roger Metzger, was a Shortstop for the Chicago Cubs (1970), Houston Astros (1971–78) and San Francisco Giants (1978–80).
- Emilio M. Garza, Judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
- Bubba Hernandez, former member of the polka band Brave Combo and Grammy Award winner.
- Gutierrez, Bridget. "Holy Cross eyes needs for future Fund raising, Notre Dame deal in works." San Antonio Express-News. March 21, 2002. Section: Metro / South Texas. Document ID: 0F26A1349262ACAC.