Holy Cross of San Antonio
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Holy Cross of San Antonio|
|426 North San Felipe Avenue
San Antonio, Texas, (Bexar County) 78228
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Denomination||Congregation of Holy Cross|
|Patron saint(s)||Saint André Bessette, CSC|
|Area trustee||Bro. Stanley Culotta, C.S.C.|
|Chaplain||Bro. Michael Winslow, C.S.C.|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Fight song||"Holy Cross Victory March"|
|Athletics conference||TAPPS Class 5A|
|Rival||San Antonio Christian School|
|Accreditation||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Academic Dean||John Gutierrez|
|Dean of Men||Angel Cedillo|
|Dean of Development||Richard Vasquez|
|Dean of Women||Molly Calderon|
|Athletic Director||Mike Harrison|
Holy Cross of San Antonio, is a Catholic, Coeducational, college preparatory school located in the Loma Vista neighborhood of San Antonio, Texas, on the West side of the city, in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of San Antonio.
Holy Cross was opened in 1957 by the Brothers of Holy Cross as the only Catholic, college preparatory, school primarily serving students of the West and South Sides of the city. Today, Holy Cross serves students from all over the city and remains one of four Catholic, Coeducational, College preparatory schools serving students through the 12th grade.
Holy Cross offers comprehensive Middle and High School catalogs including the Holy Cross STREAM (Science, Technology, Religion, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics) program.
Holy Cross is a member of TAPPS and participates in the 5A classification, the second largest in the league. Holy Cross has won, or has been a finalist for, the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools (TAPPS) previously known as (TCIL) championship title in the following sports:
- Boys' Baseball
- Boys' Basketball
- Boys' Cross Country
- Boys' Golf
- Boys' Track & Field
- Boys' Soccer
- Girls' Basketball
- Girls' Volleyball
The Holy Bowl
Holy Cross has won "The Holy Bowl" in 1967, 1984, 1988, 1992, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2012, 2013. The first game was played in November 1963 at the old Missions Stadium on a Sunday. Holy Cross lost that first meeting. The only years that these two teams didn't play were 1974 & 1975 (due to reclassifying the division) and 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 (Due to the intensity of the rivalry).
"The Holy Bowl" has been held in almost every stadium in the city. Including the Alamodome (2002-2004).
In 2012, The game marked the first time in the history of the series that Holy Cross and Central Catholic have met in their season opener. The schedule changed when Holy Cross moved from TAPPS 2-I to TAPPS 3-II in the realignment by the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools.
Starting in 2014 "The Holy Bowl" will begin its third hiatus due to scheduling conflicts.
After 46 years of competition "The Holy Bowl" was the second oldest rivalry in the city.
Holy Cross "Knights", named for the English term for a social position. The Fighting Irish ("The Irish") is the mascot of The University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana also a Congregation of Holy Cross Institution.
Christian service is an integral part of a Holy Cross education. Because of the importance of Christian service, Holy Cross students are required to serve the community through charitable acts as a requirement for graduation.
- The Holy Cross Annual Alumni Softball Tournament happens each year on Memorial Day weekend. The former students whose ages range from 20 years to the upper 60’s sport uniforms that identify them as alumni, their years of graduation from Holy Cross and their version of how to display their school colors, blue, gold and green.
- In addition to the Softball tournament, The Alumni Basketball Tournament is held every year at the end of June in honor of Daniel Gutierrez a graduate of Holy Cross who lost his long battle with Cancer in 2006. Proceeds from this event go to a Scholarship in his name.
- The Alumni Soccer Tournament is the most recent extension to the many Holy Cross traditions. Much like the Alumni Basketball Tournament revenue from this event is used for a Scholarship given to current deserving student Soccer players.
- Holy Cross is a historically All-Boys institution therefore The Alumni Softball Tournament, The Alumni Basketball Tournament and The Alumni Soccer Tournament are largely competed in by male graduates.
- The night before "The Holy Bowl", Holy Cross holds the tailgate party and pep-rally to build community and support for the school, program, team and alumni, which establishes a strong core of support for the game.
- Acoustic night is held in may to close the school year. This is a live music show where student participants present their musical or vocal talents. Family, friends and alumni attend this widely popular event.
- Stan Kelly, the public address announcer for the San Antonio Spurs of the National Basketball Association.
- Roger Metzger, was a Shortstop for the Chicago Cubs (1970), Houston Astros (1971–78) and San Francisco Giants (1978–80).
- Emilio M. Garza, Judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
- Richard Noll, Lawyer named by the State Bar of Texas.
- Bubba Hernandez, former member of the polka band Brave Combo and Grammy Award winner.
- Hasan Ali, Linebacker for Carson-Newman University and former Rivals.com prospect.