Holy Ghost Catholic Church (Kula, Hawaii)
Holy Ghost Catholic Church
Holy Ghost Roman Catholic Church in 2010
|Location||4300 Lower Kula Road, Kula, Hawaii|
|Area||1.8 acres (0.73 ha)|
|Architect||Father James Beissel,|
|Architectural style||Octagon mode|
|NRHP Reference #||83000255|
|Added to NRHP||August 18, 1983|
Holy Ghost Catholic Church, also known as Holy Ghost Mission, is an historic octagon-shaped Roman Catholic church building located at 4300 Lower Kula Road in Waiakoa in the Kula district. It was designed by Father James Beissel and built by his parishioners who were Portuguese from the Azores and the Madeira Islands who had come to work on the local sugarcane plantation. The first mass was celebrated in it in 1895. It was consecrated in 1899 by Bishop Gulstan Ropert, the third vicar apostolic of the Vicariate Apostolic of the Sandwich Islands — now the Roman Catholic Diocese of Honolulu.
On April 29, 1983, it was placed on the Hawaii Register of Historic Places and on August 18, 1983, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. It may be the only historic octagonal building in Hawaii.
In 1991 the building was closed for a year in order to undergo a major restoration. Holy Ghost Mission is still an active Roman Catholic congregation, which annually at Pentecost celebrates the Portuguese Holy Ghost Festival.
- National Park Service (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- History of Holy Ghost Parish
- Joseph M. Souki and Don Hibbard (December 1982). "Holy Ghost Catholic Church nomination form" (PDF). National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. Retrieved 2010-01-13.
- State of Hawaii List of National and State Historic Places - Maui Island
- Kline, Robert V. "Inventory of Older Octagon, Hexagon, and Round Houses: Hawaii". rvkline. Retrieved 2008-06-24.
- Kula's Holy Ghost Festival
- Kula Catholic Community website
- Library of Congress page on Local Legacies in Hawaii: Portuguese Holy Ghost Festival and Traditional Practices
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. HI-45, "Holy Ghost Roman Catholic Church, Waiakoa, Maui County, HI", 10 photos, 1 photo caption page
|This article about a property in Hawaii on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a church or other Christian place of worship in Hawaii is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|